Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• safe harddisk storage...

Hello,

I'm currently running my PC with 2 internal SCSI disks, and one external FW800 enclosure (hardware raid 0 to yield 500 GB). But I'm beginning to worry about dataloss, so I'd like to move to a RAID-5 system. The PC has 2 IDE controlles, 2 U320 SCSI channels (support for zero channel raid) and 1 PCI-X 4-channel FW800 controller.

What kind of devices would you guys recommend?
    1. Add a raidcontroller + backplane in the PC, stuff the drives there (there is room).
    2. External device (USB/FW800/UTP) which is a stand alone hardware raid thing.
    Personally, I'm wondering if network storage might be convenient, but is it? (if so, I would like it to be rackmounted, as I plan in the future to put a central server rack)

Thanks!

Jörg
    Last edited by VJ; 18 December 2006, 05:56.
    pixar
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

I've used RAID5 for years and In all honesty I don't find it any less safe. Try repairing a boot sector over a RAID array! I use 4x250GB Seagate ATA drives. They are branded suitable for 24/7 use in a RAID environment, but I've found that when one drive fails, there's usually more to follow!

I now use DVDR for regular backups from the array.
    The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post

I now use DVDR for regular backups from the array.
      Only if they could last long enough.... .

Read about it HERE:

or HERE:

or HERE:

I have an external hard drive that I only use to back up my digital pictures and video. It's ON for couple of times a month, other than that, just sitting on the shelf in the OFF mode, not conected to the PC at all.

Diplomacy, it's a way of saying “nice doggie”, until you find a rock!

Comment

add a scsi raid card, plenty on EBAY cheap, 1/2/3 channel so you can expand if needed
        scsi drives are cheap 15-30 each grab 50\73 gig units and figure what you need for space +room for growth

if you just need storage then the boot sector issue is moot...

as for an external drive used only when needed, it STILL is a single point of failure :\
        Better to let one think you are a fool, than speak and prove it

Comment

Originally posted by Dilitante1 View Post

as for an external drive used only when needed, it STILL is a single point of failure :\

Of course.

But I'd trust it more then DVD media.

Comment

Bah, with your video editing, just go RAID1. Sounds like you're not running out of storage, so just 2 drives are needed, and it will be faster than RAID5 (especially if you get a HBA that will read from both drives).
            Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

I have a Six disk 200Gb ATA array, not Raided, for long term storage.
              Its on a UPS, which will keep it up for a few hours (600VA just for the storage drives).
              I just never switch them off. The biggest point of failure is the switching off and on, so I just tried my best to eliminate the switching on and off.
              All the drives are accessible via three usb cables.

Haven't had a drive fail yet, and its been on for more than 6 months.
              PC-1 Fractal Design Arc Mini R2, 3800X, Asus B450M-PRO mATX, 2x8GB B-die@3800C16, AMD Vega64, Seasonic 850W Gold, Black Ice Nemesis/Laing DDC/EKWB 240 Loop (VRM>CPU>GPU), Noctua Fans.
              Nas : i3/itx/2x4GB/8x4TB BTRFS/Raid6 (7 + Hotspare) Xpenology
              +++ : FSP Nano 800VA (Pi's+switch) + 1600VA (PC-1+Nas)

Comment

Originally posted by Wombat View Post
                Bah, with your video editing, just go RAID1. Sounds like you're not running out of storage, so just 2 drives are needed, and it will be faster than RAID5 (especially if you get a HBA that will read from both drives).

Yes, you're right.

I'm just thinking a long term storage, not a daily or weekly back-up for some reason... .

Comment

DVD-RAM are quite reliable long-term storage media, AFAIK.
                  There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Originally posted by az View Post
                    DVD-RAM are quite reliable long-term storage media, AFAIK.

Yes, but not the DVDR.

Comment

Yep. I meant DVD-RAM in contrast to DVD+-R(W).
                      There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

I actually have a dvd ram that went corrupt... (suspect a manufacturing fault).

Just curious: suppose I set up a SCSI RAID 5 using 4 identical 68-pin U320 harddisks. It wouldn't support hot swap, but thats is not important to me. If one disk fails, how do I know which one it is? (the hotswap cages have additional status leds)

(I'm thinking of adding a zero channel raid card + 4 harddisks, there is ample room in my case for this and the PSU can handle it)

Jorg
                        pixar

Comment

the raid controller will initialize and warn of a disk issue, you also can use use the disk manager to check on your storage , you can setup RAID5 with a hot spare as well (allows 2 drives to fail b4 loss of data) its how my 2k3 server is setup (6 drives,5 for the array,1 hot spare)

Comment

Any comments on this hardware:
                            Promise SX4300 (still in doubt with the SX8300)
                            Seagate Baracuda EX (probabely 320 GB) x 4
                            Icy Dock MB-454SPF drive cage

The Barracuda ES range seems similar in quality to the SCSI disks (5 year warranty, enterprise target, ...). This SATA system would be MUCH cheaper than the SCSI alternative (in which I would only use 73 GB harddisks).

Would I go for the SX8300 or the SX4300? The former has 64 MB cache and supports 8 channels, the latter has 32 MB cache and supports 4 channels.
                            Reason for going with the SX8300 is possible future expansion (no other reasons for now).
                            (system is compatible with my mainboard according to the Promise compatibility sheet, and the Seagate drives are in the supported HDD list of the Promise)

Jörg
                            pixar

Comment

looks like a good package but too pricey for me...

Comment

Working...
                              X