CNETs Vista readiness advisor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CNETs Vista readiness advisor

Get full-length product reviews, the latest news, tech coverage, daily deals, and category deep dives from CNET experts worldwide.

ready or not, do you actually want it?
    "For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism."

Not really
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Me neither. I use it at home, but hate the dumbed down interface.
      The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

Once I get a hand on a decent pcmcia wifi card that works under most distro's of Linux, I will stop using MS products altogether but either way, my laptop just barely meets the minimum requirements and knowing MS, that is not a good thing. It's either XP or Linux for me.
        Titanium is the new bling!
        (you heard from me first!)

Comment

I got it free with my MSDN subscription. It's pretty decent. Now that I'm used to it, I do actually consider it a small upgrade over XP. I thought I was going to hate it, but I don't.

Would I pay $499 for Vista Ultimate? Probably not. For those of you that buy PCs retail, you'll get it with your next new one. There's certainly no reason to rush out and buy it.
          Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

The page won't load for me but I'm assuming you are talking about Vista. Personally, I'm totally looking forward to it. I need a change. I'm bored with XP. I'm not looking forward to paying for it. Ultimate is a rip off for sure. But of course I need to play games so I don't have much of a choice. I not a console player(though I am tempted by the Wii).
            Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

I am running Beta 2 at home. I just don't see any reason to use it over XP.
              "I dream of a better world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned."

Comment

I tried the link, and my dual, dualcore AMD Opteron 275 system with 2GB ram, an ATI X1900XTX and 128GB SATA 2, qualified as a tad lower than mainstream

What the heck is that all about?

Comment

Originally posted by Elie View Post
                  I tried the link, and my dual, dualcore AMD Opteron 275 system with 2GB ram, an ATI X1900XTX and 128GB SATA 2, qualified as a tad lower than mainstream

Probably you need a DX10 video card to get higher? BTW, the link still does not work for me. Does it work for everyone?
                  Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

That's what everyone is b****ing about; Vista's a resource HAWG. I wouldn't be surprised at a bit of collusion w/hardware companies to force upgrades.
                    Dr. Mordrid
                    ----------------------------
                    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

You need a DX10 card to score above a 5 (on the official MS one at least). The readiness rating is VERY heavily video card weighed.
                      “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                      –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Thanks and since the Nvidia 8800 is the only DX10 card around for $600+, I'll wait.
                        Heh I got no friends who work at Nvidia!

Comment

Working...
                        X