Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ACPI? APM?

What's the difference between the two?

APM works and ACPI doesn't? Well, that's what I've found.

ACPI is much more than APM is - it's not just power management, but also a plug and play bios replacement kind of thing too.

APM - Advanced Power Management
    ACPI - Advanced Configuration & Power Interface (I think)

Cheers,

Steve

------------------
    Yeah, you know the score...
    (ICQ: 29468849)

Comment

yup... acpi doesn't work in windows 98 for me. I have a bx board but i have no idea if it's compatible... but if i try to install drivers for it under add new hardware. It just creates havoc....

Comment

On my system ACPI works just fine, then again I don't have an Abit.

Comment

OK guys .. so wat's the big deal ??
          I have a Gigabyte 6BXE mobo . and i'm using win95 osr2 .. APM works ok for me .. suspend and other stuff .. so what's the big deal with ACPI ?? i think my mobo supports acpi too .. and from what i heared acpi works with win98 only .. i have a copy of win98 .. is it worth it ?? should i go for the install ??
          now i can do the following : win95 r2
          turn off monitor
          turn off hd
          shut down processor
          turn off fans in suspend mode
          What ACPI can do more ??
          another question .. when installing win95 .. there's an option for APM machin .. or APM with intel SL support .. what's that ??
          it's just alot of questions with no answeres till now

------------------
          GigaByte 6BXE, celeron 300A@464, 128 PC100 RAM,
          G200 8 M SD @112.5 core. driver 4.51, bios 2.3.

GigaByte 6BXC, celeron300A@450, 128 Ram, G200 8M SD

Comment

Yeah - that's APM working fine. ACPI also takes control of resource allocation (IRQs and so on) from what I can gather. If your system works as it is, leave it!
            I would upgrade to win98 though.
            The 'SL' support was for the old low-power versions of the 386 and 486 CPUs.

Cheers,

Steve

------------------
            Yeah, you know the score...
            (ICQ: 29468849)

Comment

The easiest way to implement ACPI into Win98, is to use this command line, when installing:

Setup.exe /p j

Should be AS WRITTEN, with the two spaces!

If someone wants to make it work on a Win98 already installed, I suggest that they read the KnowledgeBase document from MS on the subject, which clearly describes how it works! The text is here (be aware that you know what you're doing, before you start!!!)

Run Regedit.
              Under
              HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Detect, add
              a String value called ACPIOption, and set it to 1.

In Control Panel, click Add/Remove Hardware and have it run full
              detection.
              To remove ACPI support, perform steps 1 through 3, but set ACPIOption to
              2. The settings for ACPIOption are as follows:

0 (or not present) - Detect only ACPI BIOSs on good list.

1 - Detect any ACPI BIOS.

2 - Do not detect ACPI BIOSs (remove support if installed).

It is possible to partly re-install your hardware without touching the
              rest of the system.

First step is, that you have to remove the following item in the
              registry:

\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Cur rentVersion\Detect\ACPIOption

After that you have to re-install your hardware. The easiest and safest
              way to do this is to remove the complete hardware information from the
              registry. Remove the complete folder:

\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Enum

After that restart your machine, all drivers of your system have to be
              installed new than.
              It is a large piece of work to reinstall every hardware, but a lot less
              then re-installing the complete system.
              All hardware, including APM components will be re-installed.
              Be sure that you have all drivers available before removing the registry
              informations!!!

I just want to share my experiences I made trying to get that sh.. ACPI
              working correctly on my P2B. So here are some useful tips:

1. Make sure you have the latest bios (1009) revision installed!
              To make shure your system is now ACPI compatible run the utility
              acpiview form MS:

2. Go to www.microsoft.com/hwdev/acpihct.htm and catch the file called
              acpihct.zip. B4 you run acpiinst READ ON!
              Acpiinst will try to install ACPI on your system if not already done.
              To avoid that "where's my fuc.... driver diskette" DO NOT let acpiinst
              install ACPI - better do it yourself by setting the option in your
              registry:
              Run regedit and go to
              HLM/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Detect
              and create a new string called ACPIOption. Set the value to "1".
              DO NOT REBOOT NOW! Read on!

3. Next run the "Add New Hardware" in your control panel and let your
              system find the new ACPI devices. DO NOT REBOOT B4 THE WHOLE THING IS
              DONE!

4. Now reboot and you're ready to run acpiview. Your machine must pass
              the test or ACPI wont function correctly.

If you still have problems like e.g. your machine wont wake up from
              suspend or standby:

- Fast shutdown must enabled!
              - Make sure your TCP/IP setup via Control Panel/Network is set to
              default:
              DO NOT change anything like e.g. enabling DNS or entering a host name or
              your ip address. Try it and your system will not shutdown anymore or
              wake up form suspend!
              - For SB Live! Value users: Check the file vmcpd.vxd in your
              windows/system/vmm32 directory: You must have version 1998 installed
              (win98_45.cab) or you will get some blue screens while going into
              standby mode. If you're not sure simply delete the file.

------------------
              HBS - ASUS P2B-S, PII 350MHz(o/c to 412MHz), Mill. G200, 128MB RAM, Cheetah 9.1GB Ultra2, Plextor 32x CD-Rom, Sony CD-R, Canon Scanner - all SCSI, SB64AWE.

ASUS P2B-S, PIII-550 (o/c to 565MHz), 512MB RAM, Seagate X15 & Cheetah XL, Matrox Mill. G200SG, SB LivePlayer, Plextor 32x CD-Rom, PlexWriter PX-R820T CD-R, Canon BJC-7000 InkJet, OkiPage 4W Laser and Canon CanoScan 300 Scanner.

Comment

Vikingman,
                I dont have the vmcpm.vxd in the vmm32 folder at all-some other stuff though, but it does appear stand alone scrolling further down though the system. I get a blue screen coming out of standby/ suspend to RAM.
                Any ideas??
                Cheers
                Brent

Comment

Working...
                X