Power adapter question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power adapter question

So I have this external hard drive enclosue that was boxed when I moved and apparently got separated from its power adapter. I found a stray power adapter which *I think* belongs to it, but not really sure. It's a generic enclosure from CompUSA that says Mobile Disk on it and the power adapter is from Sunny. Nothing on the enclosure says what the specs of the power adapter should be.

The hard drive that is in there I didn't really care about so I just tried the two together. It seemed to have worked with the drive being loaded. It did sound louder then I remember, but I haven't used it in a year and a half. Was this smoke test good enough to put those together? Or could I work for a while and then blow up if they aren't compatible?

Thanks,
    Thien
    Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra 9, Opteron 170 Denmark 2x2Ghz, 2 GB Corsair XMS, Gigabyte 6600, Gentoo Linux
    Motion Computing M1400 -- Tablet PC, Ubuntu Linux

"if I said you had a beautiful body would you take your pants off and dance around a bit?" --Zapp Brannigan

Well, if you're giving it too much juice you could eventually melt it, yeah. But ... *shrug*
    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
    If only life were as easy as you
    I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
    If only life were as easy as you
    I would still get screwed

Comment

Originally posted by TnT View Post
      ....Or could I work for a while and then blow up if they aren't compatible?

I couldn't help myself, I just had to look up to your Forum name (TnT), then "blow up" and the TnT again......

Diplomacy, it's a way of saying “nice doggie”, until you find a rock!

Comment

Hehe, I... blow up, nice catch. I think I changed the idea behind that sentence half way through.
        Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra 9, Opteron 170 Denmark 2x2Ghz, 2 GB Corsair XMS, Gigabyte 6600, Gentoo Linux
        Motion Computing M1400 -- Tablet PC, Ubuntu Linux

"if I said you had a beautiful body would you take your pants off and dance around a bit?" --Zapp Brannigan

Comment

If the external HDD enclosure has a fan, and the fan is running louder, you may be putting too many volts through it.
          A fan with (way) too many volts will fail quickly.

I accidentally put a 12V fan into a Laser printer without noticing it was 24V rail.
          The fan was very loud for the ~5seconds it was on for, i noticed the extreme speed compared to the other fan and switched off.
          The air smelled like someone had just used a hair dryer. Burnt hair smell.
          Not good.
          PC-1 Fractal Design Arc Mini R2, 3800X, Asus B450M-PRO mATX, 2x8GB B-die@3800C16, AMD Vega64, Seasonic 850W Gold, Black Ice Nemesis/Laing DDC/EKWB 240 Loop (VRM>CPU>GPU), Noctua Fans.
          Nas : i3/itx/2x4GB/8x4TB BTRFS/Raid6 (7 + Hotspare) Xpenology
          +++ : FSP Nano 800VA (Pi's+switch) + 1600VA (PC-1+Nas)

Comment

Originally posted by Evildead666 View Post

I accidentally put a 12V fan into a Laser printer without noticing it was 24V rail.
            The fan was very loud for the ~5seconds it was on for, i noticed the extreme speed compared to the other fan and switched off.

You almost did discover a way to levitate a device, didn’t you?

Diplomacy, it's a way of saying “nice doggie”, until you find a rock!

Comment

Working...
            X