Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• X-BOX 360 HD DVD drive is USB2

>
    Our only dilemma thus far has been the lack of availability of PC HD-DVD drives. But not to worry: we have a solution. Microsoft's ($199) add-on HD-DVD drive released for the Xbox 360 will work with any PC that supports USB 2.0. Not only can 360 owners use it to extend the capabilities of their console, but PC users now have an affordable external HD-DVD drive available. Let's take a look at the drive itself before we get into HD-DVD performance.
    >
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 16 December 2006, 17:35.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

I got one of these sitting next to my XBox. Best $200 I think I've spent in a while. HD-DVD movies look fantastic - the color vibrance and sharpness are excellent. The only downsides are completely outside the scope of the HD-DVD Drive.

The first issue is the resolution support on the 360 is a little funky as it has to do with which cables you are using. I'm not experiencing trouble as I use 720p, but 1080p can be a major pain in the ass.

The second issue comes in how movies are produced. Take Miami Vice for instance. Some scenes look fantastic - really sharp, clear and vibrant. Other scenes look substantially less stellar - not so much because of the transfer, but because of the way they filmed/edited the movie and the style which they were aiming for with the video. Sometimes artistic liscence does not transfer well from the big screen to an HD-DVD.
    "And yet, after spending 20+ years trying to evolve the user interface into something better, what's the most powerful improvement Apple was able to make? They finally put a god damned shell back in." -jwz

Comment

Ahh, Doc, you don't remember this thread already?

Comment

Originally posted by Nowhere View Post
        Ahh, Doc, you don't remember this thread already?
        http://forums.murc.ws/showthread.php?t=59468

He is just getting old.. give him a break
        We have enough youth - What we need is a fountain of smart!

i7-920, 6GB DDR3-1600, HD4870X2, Dell 27" LCD

Comment

Working...
        X