Life @ 197° F

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Life @ 197° F

A certain type of extremophile is even more extreme than scientists thought. A microbe that converts nitrogen into energy was found thriving in temperatures that shatter previous records for similar organisms.

The new organism is a type of archaeon, a single-celled organism that lacks a nucleus. Many archaeons are extremophiles, organisms that thrive in extreme conditions that most other life on Earth would find inhospitable.

This nitrogen-fixing microbe was isolated from a deep-sea hydrothermal vent below the seafloor in the northeast Pacific and was found to grow in temperatures up to 197 degrees Fahrenheit. Another nitrogen-fixing microbe held the previous record of 147 degrees Fahrenheit.
    >
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Yet another example of how much more we have to learn about our own planet and the diversity of life that inhabits it.
    “And, remember: there's no 'I' in 'irony'” ~ Merlin Mann

Comment

And the potential for life to exist elsewhere.
      Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Quite so. There's always the argument that life here was such an improbable fluke, and yet when you at the sheer diversity of species, it's rather hard to not believe that life elsewhere is not just possible but probable.
        “And, remember: there's no 'I' in 'irony'” ~ Merlin Mann

Comment

Especially given how many amino acids etc. are found in molecular clouds and comets.

Then there's the new work at the U. of Nebraska showing water cooled in a 1.4 nm bucky-tube self-organizes into a double helix very similar to DNA's appearance.

Simulation

Since both are found in nature it makes one wonder what Mother Nature has done with that process in exotic environments containing organics as well
          Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 15 December 2006, 02:08.
          Dr. Mordrid

Comment

With the billions of planets out there and billions of years of time the chances that life doesn't exist elsewhere is pretty slim. The chances of us ever finding it is the harder one.

There was an IMAX/OmniMAX movie on extremophiles a while back. Pretty cool stuff.
            Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra 9, Opteron 170 Denmark 2x2Ghz, 2 GB Corsair XMS, Gigabyte 6600, Gentoo Linux
            Motion Computing M1400 -- Tablet PC, Ubuntu Linux

"if I said you had a beautiful body would you take your pants off and dance around a bit?" --Zapp Brannigan

Comment

Working...
            X