Thanks Everyone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks Everyone

I just wanted to say thanks to all of you who have put up with me over the past 10 or 11 months. I asked my share of stupid questions and learned a hell of alot from all of you.

I finally put all this knowledge to work and built my first system. I ordered a new case, mobo and sound card. For the drives I scavenged my old DELL system.

With Matt, Kruzin and Jorden sort of looking over my shoulder, I installed the new mobo and connected everything. I have to admit I was a little nervous when I finally had to get offline to get the drives out of the old system.

With a couple large gulps of Glenlivet and the confidence in knowing that the best technical support anyone could need was close at hand, right here, I hit the power switch....................
    And..... it booted right up the first time!!!
    I used my old hard drive with WN98 and all my stuff still on it. It only took two re-boots for good old WN98 to sort out everything and it has been running like a champ.

Here's a couple pics of the new case. It's a Superpower Landmark Mid-Tower that I got from AllStarShop.com for $68.00.

I still have to tiddy up all those cables and wires.

Once again thanks everyone. I couldn't have done this without all the help and support from the Matrox Users Forums.

Paul

------------------
    P3-558(124x4.5), ABIT BX6 r2, 256MB PC100, MILL G400-32MB on BNC, Quantum3D Obsidian2 X-24 on D-sub, 21"Trinitron, SCSI CDR/RW, SCSI ZIP, USR Voice Faxmodem Pro(USB Ext) WN98
    and a (Very Messy Desk) ;-P

[This message has been edited by ALBPM (edited 07-29-99).]
    "Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Congratulations, Paul!!!

Your system sounds great--and if you ever do this again (and now that you're blooded, you will--get used to it), you'll realize what a great job you did.

"And...it booted right up the first time!!!"

I mean, my Gawd, you actually could have screwed the case back down!!! (tho' I'm sure that your Help Desk didn't suggest that you do so )

You're right; Matt, Kruzin and Jorden are the best tech support anyone could need...congrats to them, too!

But the really important question is...where does Kermit perch on this killer rig?

-------------
    Holly,
    building a Celery box while waiting for the Athlon...after all, it's been a whole month since I built a new box...
    Holly

"All we need is a voluntary, free-spirited, open ended program of procreative racial deconstruction."
    -Jay Bulworth

Comment

More to the point, where's the speaker grille in the side of the box?

Cheers,
      Steve

Comment

Paul,

Great job! Glad you enjoyed the "Adventure". Hope you enjoy the new system.

Yeah, where is Kermit? Huh?

LB

------------------
        Running an ABIT BE6, PIII-450 @ 600Mhz, 128MB (128x1) PC133HSDRAM (running @ 133), Matrox Mystique G200 8MB, SBLive! Value, Adaptec AHA-2940UW (Dual Channel)
        All kinds of other SCSI and ATAPI goodies....
        -------------
        Waiting for my G400Max Impatiently, increasing system performance to give it a good home.....

Gaming Rig.

- Gigabyte GA-7N400-Pro
        - AMD Athlon 3200+ XP
        - 1.5GB Dual Channel DDR 433Mhz SDRAM
        - 6.1 Digital Audio
        - Gigabit Lan (Linksys 1032)
        - 4 x 120GB SATA Drives, RAID 0+1 (Striped/Mirrored)
        - Sony DRU-500A DVD/+/-/R/RW
        - Creative 8x DVD-ROM
        - LS120 IDE Floppy
        - Zip 100 IDE
        - PNY Ultra 5900 (256MB)
        - NEC FE950
        - DTT2500 Cambridge Soundworks

Comment

Congrats ALBPM! The first system I put together my boss just handed me the parts and said build it. Never been through so many manuals before in my life. Now I can build a computer in my sleep. Just don't get all obsessive about your new beast, like I am about mine.

Jammrock

------------------
          PIII 540 (120 MHz x 4.5 - 540), 256 MB PC133 SDRAM, ASUS P3B-F, Winblows 98 SuckyEdition, 18 GB WD Expert HDD, Encore 6x DVD w/ Dxr3 decoder, (TEMPORARY!!!) Voodoo 3 2000 @ 175 MHz which will be replaced by a Matrox G400 MAX, Sound Blaster Live! full retail, MAG DX715T 17
          “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
          –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Hi Everyone,
            Well kermit was a little too helpful so didn't make it in those pictures. She really likes the brightly colored cables all too well for her own good.
            Phase 2, cooling this case is under way now.
            I never realized how warm things can get when you start overclocking.

Paul
            "Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Comment

Yep, gotta be careful who/what gets near the computer. My old 486/120 mysteriously stopped booting one evening. Didn't know what was going on until I starting moving the case around to work on it and the capacitor fell out of the case. No wonder the cat was staring at me the whole time. Damn furball.

So, what about the heat? Another speaker grille? That's one credit I'll give to Motorola, their chips are a lot cooler (temperature wise, although the vector unit is really cool, too).

-Wombat

------------------
              503+ rev 1.2a, 128MB PC100 RAM, K6-2/350@400,RH6 & Win98,G200 Millenium (SGRAM), no plans to buy a G400

Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

It may be time for another speaker grill on the side of the case. This one will be more difficult - did you see the ribbing on the side of the case.
                I did replace the 80mm exhaust fan below the power supply with a pair of those wonderfull Radio Shack radial blowers(Nidec Gamma28) . Boy, talk about moving some air those blowers are a steal at $9.99 each.

By the way- has anyone ever created a file(table) with all the ABIT BIOS settings
                so you can document all your current settings as you change them. That would be a helpful thing to have around for Forum members.

Paul

Comment

ALBPM,
                  Congrats!
                  Don't let kermit get caught in one of those fans!
                  chuck

------------------
                  (erstwhile cjolley) celery 333@500mz 2.2V, 128meg@cas2 gh, 10gig IBM 7200rpm UltraStar, Princton EO75, $15 sound card(soon to be replaced by an SB Live Value Steve!),V3 2000 PCI (still waiting on my MAX!)

Comment

Paul,

Great Idea on the tables. I'll try and work on that this weekend. If I get them set, maybe someone could post them so everyone with an ABIT board could use them. There would have to be different ones for different boards. I can cover the BE6 for now, don't have my BX6R2 in a system right now.

LB

------------------
                    Running an ABIT BE6, PIII-450 @ 600Mhz, 128MB (128x1) PC133HSDRAM (running @ 133), Matrox Mystique G200 8MB, SBLive! Value, Adaptec AHA-2940UW (Dual Channel)
                    All kinds of other SCSI and ATAPI goodies....
                    -------------
                    Waiting for my G400Max Impatiently, increasing system performance to give it a good home.....

Gaming Rig.

- Gigabyte GA-7N400-Pro
                    - AMD Athlon 3200+ XP
                    - 6.1 Digital Audio
                    - Creative 8x DVD-ROM
                    - LS120 IDE Floppy
                    - Zip 100 IDE
                    - PNY Ultra 5900 (256MB)
                    - NEC FE950

Comment

Hi Guyver,
                      There are a few of us where I work that have the BX6 rev.2 boards so I may start on that table. I guess the only way to record all that info is to hit print screen for each page.

If SteveC and Maggi ever get the GTECH site going we could keep all these files posted there.

The ASUS board owners would probably like having tables available for their boards as well.

Paul

Comment

ALBPM,

Great. Sounds good. Do you have any ideas (if you don't NP, DWAI) when they may have the site up?

May have some delays on the BE6 table, as I went home for lunch and had a present waiting for me. My parents PC with a sick hard drive... Yech... Oh well, started up spinrite 5 and hopefully that will clear things up long enough to get the data transferred to a new drive.

After that is finished, I will proceed with the table.

Are we talking about something like an Excel template or an HTML type document. I'm very new to HTML stuff, so anything I do there may be very primitive.

Thanks,

LB
                        Gaming Rig.

- Gigabyte GA-7N400-Pro
                        - AMD Athlon 3200+ XP
                        - 6.1 Digital Audio
                        - Creative 8x DVD-ROM
                        - LS120 IDE Floppy
                        - Zip 100 IDE
                        - PNY Ultra 5900 (256MB)
                        - NEC FE950

Comment

I was thinking more in line with an Excel table. That way people could get a blank copy to fill in their own settings.
                          I'm not that proficient with HTML either.
                          I wonder, how similar the SoftMenu and the rest of the Bios settings tables are for the various ABIT boards??

Paul

Comment

Working...
                          X