"Top" quark found

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Top" quark found

A group of 50 international physicists, led by UC Riverside’s Ann Heinson, has detected for the first time a subatomic particle, the top quark, produced without the simultaneous production of its antimatter partner – an extremely rare event. The discovery of the single top quark could help scientists better explain how the universe works and how objects acquire their mass, thereby assisting human understanding of the fundamental nature of the universe.

A quark is a fundamental particle that had not been thought to exist singly save for the top quark.

In triplets quarks make up particles like protons and neutrons. In pairs it makes particles like mesons.

Quarks are the only fundamental particles that interact through all four of the fundamental forces; strong, weak, electromagnetic and gravity.

6 types: up, down, top, bottom, strange & charm plus their antimatter versions.

The Top is special in that;

1. it was detected singly, as predicted. In fact they detected 62 of them.

2. unlike its lighter quark cousins it's as heavy as a gold atoms nucleus

3. it's thought not to have existed since the big bang.
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 13 December 2006, 17:25.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

so they finaly found quark.....
    "They say that dreams are real only as long as they last. Couldn't you say the same thing about life?"

Comment

he was playing naughty with the Dabo girls
      /meow
      Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
      Asus Striker ][
      8GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800 (4x2GB)
      Asus EN8800GT 512MB x2(SLI)

I am C4tX0r, hear me mew!

Comment

And for a mere two bars of gold-pressed latinum, he will appear at birthdays, bar mitzvahs, and weddings!
        The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
        If only life were as easy as you
        I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
        If only life were as easy as you
        I would still get screwed

Comment

Working...
        X