Phase-Change memory

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Phase-Change memory

sci-tech-today.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, sci-tech-today.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

IBM's new phase-change memory alloy, also called GS for the two elements -- germanium and antimony -- that make it up, can quickly move between amorphous and crystalline states, reproducing the ones and zeroes used to store the world's electronic data. The GS alloy is faster than current flash memory by a factor of 500, uses half the power, and, like flash, retains its data when the power is off.
    >
    weighs in at a mere 3 x 20 nanometers. Like flash, it retains its data when the power is off -- a memory quality called "nonvolatile." But unlike flash, it works as quickly as RAM, meaning that IBM's alloy might one day make its way into computers and processors as an ultrafast, ultracool, ultrasmall way to store data.
    >
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

No wonder MRAM never took off. PRAM looks like it may be the next wave.
    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Yup. Small, (presumably) cheap, fast, cool & non-volatile would be a hard combo to beat.
      Dr. Mordrid

Comment

yet anothe vaporware....
        If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Peer review all too often = protection of existing product cycles.
          Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Originally posted by Technoid View Post
            yet anothe vaporware....
            vaporeware is not something I am used to from IBM with patents.

might take a while, and IBM might not produce it themselves, and it will require licensing, but one thing I am sure of, big blue is all about money and getting their patents to produce same said
            Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

Yup. They don't play industrial softball
              Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Mordrid View Post
                Yup. They don't play industrial softball

snickers
                "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

IBM developed MRAM, too, but so far it's almost been vaporware. Only one company sells chips, but it's top capacity is 1 Gb. Though MRAM may make a larger apperance before PRAM comes into play.
                  “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                  –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Hmmm...imagine cache on CPU (or even in RAM) with most used/needed during bootup OS files.

Comment

I bet they'd give it a cute little name, like BIOS or something.
                      Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Zing!
                        Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

Working...
                        X