4 speaker set up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4 speaker set up

Where do you guys put your rear speakers?

Ummmmmmm Somewhere behind you? Like on a shelf pr somethin

Comment

Sorry, but where else would rear speakers go? At very least, put them no further forward than you are.

------------------
      Yeah, you know the score...
      (ICQ: 29468849)

Comment

No,no, no I mean like do you guys have shelves directly behind your chair or do you put them on the ground or something?

Comment

:0) I see said the deaf man.

Ya I have a bookshelf behind me so that they be at about the same lvl as the front speakers. Somehow or another you should try and get all four speakers about the same lvl

Peace out bru

------------------
          Flangor StrongAxe
          flangor@matroxusers.com
          System specs: One bourbon, one scotch and one beer

Comment

I don't have anything behind me so I took the little (2ft high) legs that came with my cambridge soundworks speakers and replaced them with wooden dowels and cut them to ear level when I'm sitting. Hey, it ain't pretty but is very effective.

Comment

I'm going to velcro them to the back wall... by the way, does anyone know anything about Creatives new Desktop Theater 5.1 2500? Supposed to have the speaker quality of the FPS 2000.

Comment

BrainPlastic,

Uh...no. Damn it, now I have to get the 5.1 2500 when it comes out, because the sub on the normal desktop theater 5.1 SUCKS and it cost $250 for the cheapest sub from Cambridge. Spam it all to Dell and back again.

Jammrock

------------------
                PIII 540 (120 MHz x 4.5 - 540), 256 MB PC133 SDRAM, ASUS P3B-F, Winblows 98 SuckyEdition, 18 GB WD Expert HDD, Encore 6x DVD w/ Dxr3 decoder, (TEMPORARY!!!) Voodoo 3 2000 @ 175 MHz which will be replaced by a Matrox G400 MAX, Sound Blaster Live! full retail, MAG DX715T 17
                “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

well for my 2 cent's i took an old metal tapemeasure and cut it into 4 strips then i kitty corner the strips too my yammaha speakers i then screwed the things into the celing behind my chair angled down towards where i sit. now lately ive been thinking of building a booth useing hd partical board and sound proofing mat's intalling every thing in side includeing custom mounts for my controls
                  this would isolate me from every thing else but make upgradeing and tinkering with the system a pain unless i used extention cables and placed the case out side of the booth.

now i tell you is this going to far, to get a realistic experiance ? (i already took a bucket set out of a mazda car and im useing that as my chair

------------------
                  i don't know what im going to bitch about now that the avp patch is out.
                  p2 350 at 450, 196 meg pc100,10gig hard drive,5xdvd cl drive, xitel p. storm sound, 32meg g400 dualhead, acs 400 altec lansing speakers+yamaha rear, ch throttle, ch force fx, ch pedeals, hp laserjet 4, epson 400 color, ctx vl950 main mag dx17t secondary monitors
                  other systems k6-2 350 and k6 200.

[This message has been edited by merchant2 (edited 07-29-99).]

Comment

I have heard quite a few speakers made for computer soundcards, and they are really poor quality. As a self proclaimes audiophile I must mention tihat if you really want good sound, your money would be better spent buying an inexpensive home theater setup. Some may disagree, but I for one would not throw my $ away on "computer" speakers.

(my 2 cents)

-neo

------------------
                    Asus P2B-F, 532MHZ Pentium II (4x133 at 2.4v), Global Win VEK12 hs/fan, 128MB Micron PC133, WD 7200RPM 18Gig, SB AWE 32, Creative DVD 2x, Mitsumi CDR 2x/8x, Sony Trinitron 17", Old Matrox Video Card, and a redhead with a pair of 36Cs (O/Ced to 38Cs)

Comment

There are some good speaker buys though. I would shy away from those $99 Cambridge four-point surround speakers. The quality is not the best.

I've found that a good pair of Altec-Lansing speakers with sub-woofer (ACS-48) for the front, and 10-Watt Yamaha speakers for the rear make a good combination. The RMS output for the setup is 100 Watts (RMS, not Max!!), and you can put it together for under $200.

Comment

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! while slamming skull against a brick wall

I was at Best Buy (US electronics/appliance/music store) and I saw them, I SAW THEM AND LISTENED TO THEM. The Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Theater 5.1 FSP25000's!!!!! There is a demo unit at Best BUY!!! The entire setup is jet black, including the AC-3 decoder box, and the subwoofer is bigger than the FSP2000's. It was playing a CD from a portable CD player, so not the best sound source, but man are those nice speakers. I actually heard bass instead of the muffled low humm that comes from the big white plastic box on my current Desktop Theater 5.1 system. They sound sweeeeet.

Grrrrrrrrrrrr...that really sucks. Speakers aren't supposed to go out of date for at least a year, not 6 months like video cards.

Jammrock

------------------
                        PIII 540 (120 MHz x 4.5 - 540), 256 MB PC133 SDRAM, ASUS P3B-F, Winblows 98 SuckyEdition, 18 GB WD Expert HDD, Encore 6x DVD w/ Dxr3 decoder, (TEMPORARY!!!) Voodoo 3 2000 @ 175 MHz which will be replaced by a Matrox G400 MAX, Sound Blaster Live! full retail, MAG DX715T 17

[This message has been edited by Jammrock (edited 07-29-99).]
                        “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                        –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

oooh Jammrock, I know you're upset but thank you thank you for that on-the-spot review...I have been haunting the <A HREF=news://news.soundblaster.com/creative.products.speakers" TARGET=_blank>news://news.soundblaster.com/creative.products.speakers</A> newsgroup for a couple months now, emailed cambridge etc., knew the speakers were near but was very afraid they'd have some fatal flaw (like the sub in the original Destop Theater). And for 250 smackeroos I didn't want to make a mistake.

Don't bang your head, you've done a great service.

Best BUY??? good gawd.

------------
                          Holly

[This message has been edited by motub (edited 07-30-99).]
                          Holly

"All we need is a voluntary, free-spirited, open ended program of procreative racial deconstruction."
                          -Jay Bulworth

Comment

Working...
                          X