Need a sub £100 mobo/cpu/ram combo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need a sub £100 mobo/cpu/ram combo

My dad has managed to kill his A7V motherboard and is looking for a cheap upgrade. His needs are very modest

I was thinking about something along the lines of an A7N8X/XP2500/DDR. I think you could get this on ebay for under £100. Any other suggestions?
    The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

That or the MSI K7N2 Delta2.

$15 USD....
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

cheers. Any advice on the CPU? I seem to remember 2500+ bartons being the ones to get?
      The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

It's worth seeing if ebuyer have any bundles going - they can sometimes be pretty cheap...
        DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
          cheers. Any advice on the CPU? I seem to remember 2500+ bartons being the ones to get?

I have NO complaints about the mobile 2500+ Barton I got. Thing runs at 3200+ like a champ.

Now the a7n8x-e deluxe I got to go with it that will only go up to 12x multiplier... THAT pisses me off.

But the chip? ROCKS.
          The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
          If only life were as easy as you
          I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
          If only life were as easy as you
          I would still get screwed

Comment

I just recently bought a mobile 2500+, only to find it is on a 266MHz bus with a 14.x multiplier
            just keep this in mind if you expect it to be a great overclocker
            We have enough youth - What we need is a fountain of smart!

i7-920, 6GB DDR3-1600, HD4870X2, Dell 27" LCD

Comment

I would convince him to go dualcore/PCI-E/DDR2 (and new vid or onboard). Future proof him. Arm him to the teeth. Take no prisoners! QUADCORE!! 4GB RAM! ARHGH@J!!!! SLI!

512mb DDR2, a socket AM2 cpu + mobo w/ onboard vid.
              Priced in CAD from ncix.com

512 DDR2 $60
              ECS C51GM-M mATX AM2 GF6100 $68
              A64 3200+ venice AM2 $78.
              Total $206 CAD.
              Q9450 + TRUE, G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2, GTX 560, ASUS X48, 1TB WD Black, Windows 7 64-bit, LG M2762D-PM 27" + 17" LG 1752TX, Corsair HX620, Antec P182, Logitech G5 (Blue)
              Laptop: MSI Wind - Black

Comment

Or he could get one of those killer Tyan Thunders
                Dr. Mordrid
                ----------------------------
                An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Damn straight. Go big or go home.

Seriously though, check out a cheap AM2 option, better performance and a bit more upgradability.
                  Q9450 + TRUE, G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2, GTX 560, ASUS X48, 1TB WD Black, Windows 7 64-bit, LG M2762D-PM 27" + 17" LG 1752TX, Corsair HX620, Antec P182, Logitech G5 (Blue)
                  Laptop: MSI Wind - Black

Comment

An AM2 solutions is marginally above your budget

AMD AM2 Athlon 64 3200 @ ~£50.00
                    ECS or MSI mATX M2 mobo @ ~£35.00
                    256Mb Corsair PC4200 DDR @ ~£20.00

Total £105 or £115 if you went for 512Mb
                    When you own your own business you only have to work half a day. You can do anything you want with the other twelve hours.

Comment

Cheers for looking that up Taz. Where did you cost it?
                      Would the AM2 route be significantly faster?

Is this the CPU?, RAM.... looking for a mobo..

What mobo chipset would you recommend? I think he has an AIW8500 card (although I might have made that up)
                      Last edited by Paddy; 14 December 2006, 06:43.

Comment

Prices came from Scam

The CPU was a proper Athlon64 rather than a Sempron although the later would do.

Yep that was the memory.

The motherboard was a MSI K9VGM-V although there are similar models from ECS, Gigabyte and Asrock for around the same price. Being mATX boards they have pretty much everthing on-board including video
                        When you own your own business you only have to work half a day. You can do anything you want with the other twelve hours.

Comment

Cheers. The CPU and RAM look great, although I am not so certain about the motherboard.
                          Are there any other chipsets to look at? I'm not fussed about the micro atx formfactor, and more PCI slots would be nice.

Did I mention that his graphics card is a 8500DV which must be AGP.
                          The PSU is '... a fairly new Tagan TG380 which is supposed to be a decent bit of kit. Nice and quiet, and although only 380W, they are proper James Watts with a decent head of steam on each rail.' Will this be sufficient?

Cheers again.

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
                            Are there any other chipsets to look at?

I'm not fussed about the micro atx formfactor, and more PCI slots would be nice.

Did I mention that his graphics card is a 8500DV which must be AGP.
                            What about this one, it's nVidia NF3-250 based, ATX and has an AGP slot

Will this be sufficient?
                            Yep it should be.

Comment

Looks great thanks. It says that it supports DDRII800/667/533. I assume (again) that the PC4200 RAM will be ok?

Cheers for all of your help matey.

Comment

Working...
                              X