Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will the coppermines work with the BX chipset?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will the coppermines work with the BX chipset?

I was under the impression that the coppermines needed the "Camino" chipset.

Technically yes. The "real" Coppermine's will run on a 133 MHz bus. The BX only officially supports 100 MHz, it is the motherboad manufactures that allow you to clock it higher. If it were up to Intel your BX board would run at 66 and 100 MHz. That and the Coppermine's will run using RDDRAM (RamBus DRAM). There is rumors that Intel will release a psudo Coppermine running at 600 MHz that will run on a BX board to compete with the AMD Athlon. This is only a technical answer and may not be what actually happens.

Jammrock

------------------
    PIII 504 (112 MHz x 4.5 - 504), 256 MB PC133 SDRAM, 18 GB WD Expert HDD, Encore 6x DVD w/ Dxr3 decoder, (TEMPORARY!!!) Voodoo 3 2000 @ 175 MHz which will be replaced by a Matrox G400 MAX, Sound Blaster Live! full retail, MAG DX715T 17". A nice little toy don't ya think?

“Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Is it like comparing Slot1 and Slot A?

I see that you have uppgraded a bit. Can´t you get your P3 higher than 504Mhz?

It seems that you have all the answers to my questions here in the General Harware forum.

Comment

Don't know for sure about the coppermines. Would be interested in finding out myself.
        If either of you find out, would you drop me a line?

------------------
        Running an ABIT BX6 R2, PIII-450 @ 581Mhz, 128MB (64x2) PC100SDRAM (running @ 129), Matrox Mystique G200 8MB, SBLive! Value, Adaptec AHA-2940UW (Dual Channel)
        All kinds of other SCSI and ATAPI goodies....
        -------------
        Waiting for my G400Max Impatiently, increasing system performance to give it a good home.....
        Gaming Rig.

- Gigabyte GA-7N400-Pro
        - AMD Athlon 3200+ XP
        - 1.5GB Dual Channel DDR 433Mhz SDRAM
        - 6.1 Digital Audio
        - Gigabit Lan (Linksys 1032)
        - 4 x 120GB SATA Drives, RAID 0+1 (Striped/Mirrored)
        - Sony DRU-500A DVD/+/-/R/RW
        - Creative 8x DVD-ROM
        - LS120 IDE Floppy
        - Zip 100 IDE
        - PNY Ultra 5900 (256MB)
        - NEC FE950
        - DTT2500 Cambridge Soundworks

Comment

Jammrock:You still have some Mhz before you beat me. Did you buy the processor from STEP or did you just grab the STEP cooler from your old celery(just curious).

------------------
          P2 400@533Mhz(4*133),128 MB PC133,Gigabyte GA-6BXE, Matrox Milleenium G200 8MB,Soundblaster AWE32(a bit old but it works great),2.6GB Fujits HD,TEAC 32x CD-ROM
          ------------------

[This message has been edited by Erich (edited 07-14-99).]

Comment

Jammrock & Erich,

I will have my Enhanced PC133SDRAM - rated up to 150Mhz, tomorrow. So stand back. May be takin' my system up to around 675 at the max... (100Mhz AGP and 37.5Mhz PCI) - If my SCSI controller can take it that is.... - Here's hoping & Praying....

------------------
            Running an ABIT BX6 R2, PIII-450 @ 581Mhz soon to be @ 600 , 128MB (64x2) PC100SDRAM (running @ 129), Matrox Mystique G200 8MB, SBLive! Value, Adaptec AHA-2940UW (Dual Channel)
            -------------
            Waiting for my G400Max Impatiently, increasing system performance to give it a good home.....

[This message has been edited by Guyver (edited 07-14-99).]
            Gaming Rig.

- Gigabyte GA-7N400-Pro
            - AMD Athlon 3200+ XP
            - 6.1 Digital Audio
            - Creative 8x DVD-ROM
            - LS120 IDE Floppy
            - Zip 100 IDE
            - PNY Ultra 5900 (256MB)
            - NEC FE950

Comment

I have upgraded a bit. I'm a bit psycho that way. I am running a Step cooled P3, but I am running an ASUS motherboard so I cannot change the voltage on the CPU. Once I grab a new motherboard (don't know when that will be) I will overclock it higher. The first day I had the chip I ran it at 550 MHz, but it was way too unstable (posted and booted into windows then crashed like only windows can do). Not bad for a overclocking a chip 100 MHz without upping the voltage. My V3 won't go past 175 MHz stabily though.

Slot 1 and Slot A are mechanically the same, but electronically different. This saves motherboard manufactures some serious cash on parts. The Coppermine will more than likely use a standard Slot 1 interface, whether it is electronically the same I am not positive on. I do know that when the Coppermine is on an Intel 820 (aka Camino) motherboard it MUST use RamBUS RAM. If the Coppermine is designed to run exclusively on RDDRAM motherboards, then you will need a Camino. Otherwise, assuming the slot and electronics design are the same, you should be able to run a Coppermine on a P3 compatible motherboard.

Now to throw you for a loop. There are rumors running around that the Coppermine will be released using a Socket design (like Socket 370, PPGA, Socket 7). The design will either use Socket 370 technology (highly unlikely) or a new socket called...Socket 470. This is pure rumor mind you, but feasible. Digital Alpha CPU's are running at 1 GHz, right now, and they use socket based mounting technology, so Intel may revert back to the Socket design to save money and throw AMD for a loop. Fun stuff.

Jammrock

------------------
              PIII 504 (112 MHz x 4.5 - 504), 256 MB PC133 SDRAM, 18 GB WD Expert HDD, Encore 6x DVD w/ Dxr3 decoder, (TEMPORARY!!!) Voodoo 3 2000 @ 175 MHz which will be replaced by a Matrox G400 MAX, Sound Blaster Live! full retail, MAG DX715T 17". A nice little toy don't ya think?

Comment

Guyver: If you can get your P3 to 675 Mhz you are either a lucky guy or a really big overklocking guy. 225 Mhz over specification is to high I think but if you are lucky it works up to 600Mhz. Where I bought my P2(after Jammrocks recommendation) they now garantie that you can get a P3 450Mhz to 600Mhz if you buy the processor and cooler from them. So it shouldn´t be impossible for you to get it to work. Did you buy the Enhanced PC133SDRAM(don´t they call it HSDRAM) from Mushkin or directly from pc133memory.com(curious as allways)? Can you get your hands on an unlocked p2 and really test the ram, would be intresting to know exactly how high they can go.

------------------
                P2 400@533Mhz(4*133),128 MB PC133,Gigabyte GA-6BXE, Matrox Milleenium G200 8MB,Soundblaster AWE32(a bit old but it works great),2.6GB Fujits HD,TEAC 32x CD-ROM

Comment

Jammrock - You CAN change the core voltage of your CPU!!! I have my PII 350 running at 412 MHz on an ASUS P2B-S. I have it at 4 x 103 MHz. My core voltage is 2.2 Volts.

ASUS has a brand new board out: P3B-F, which has jumperfree Bios, 4 DIMM's and much more... http://www.asus.com.tw/Products/Moth...b-f/index.html

------------------
                  HBS - ASUS P2B-S, PII 350MHz(o/c to 392MHz), Mill. G200, 128MB RAM, Cheetah 9.1GB, Plextor 32x CD-Rom, Sony CD-R, Canon Scanner - all SCSI.

ASUS P2B-S, PIII-550 (o/c to 565MHz), 512MB RAM, Seagate X15 & Cheetah XL, Matrox Mill. G200SG, SB LivePlayer, Plextor 32x CD-Rom, PlexWriter PX-R820T CD-R, Canon BJC-7000 InkJet, OkiPage 4W Laser and Canon CanoScan 300 Scanner.

Comment

Erich,

Got the memory from Mushkin... Hadn't heard of pc133direct.com - will have to check them out.

I've been very lucky so far. I'm actually running my PIII-450 @ 581 - but at 1.9V instead of the default 2.0 or even having to push it to 2.x - so I've got some room to go as far as pushing voltage to force feed the processor into working at a higher clock. It currently runs at around 35.5C, 36.5C - 38 if I let the AC get above 72F. :O - which I usually don't - too much hot blood in my veins...

------------------
                    Running an ABIT BX6 R2, PIII-450 @ 581Mhz, 128MB (64x2) PC100SDRAM (running @ 129), Matrox Mystique G200 8MB, SBLive! Value, Adaptec AHA-2940UW (Dual Channel)
                    -------------
                    Gaming Rig.

- Gigabyte GA-7N400-Pro
                    - AMD Athlon 3200+ XP
                    - 6.1 Digital Audio
                    - Creative 8x DVD-ROM
                    - LS120 IDE Floppy
                    - Zip 100 IDE
                    - PNY Ultra 5900 (256MB)
                    - NEC FE950

Comment

Erich,
                      I did by my cooler and CPU from Step. I gave my Celeron to my parents. I am gong to start pumping up the clock on it probably tonight. I simply wanted to burn it in a bit before I started doing heavy overclocking.

Vikingman,
                      Thanks for the info on the P3B-F. Unfortunately I have a P2B-F so my voltage is locked at 2.0 V. I have run the CPU as high as 550 MHz (I had not even used the CPU for more than 5 minutes at the time). It posted and booted, just crashed once it got into Win98.

I am suprised at the speeds people are getting from their P3's. I will definately have to pump up the speed on my CPU, especially since I have a high end peltier sitting on it.

Jammrock

------------------

Comment

Guyver,
                        I think your HSDRAM module is made buy the people at pc133memory.com and Mushkin buys from them(correct me if I am wrong)

Jammrock,
                        If theres Fairbanks system worked on a Gigabyte mobo I should have got that insted.

------------------

Comment

Erich,
                          They didn't even have that Fairbanks offer when I ordered or I might have gotten it. I assume that the fairbanks connects to that nice big cache chip sitting on the back of the PIII board. I will probably stick on a heatsink to it so i can take the CPU up a notch.

VIKINGMAN,
                          Well, I just orderd an ASUS P3B-F motherboard. 6 PCI, 1 ISA, 4 DIMMs, ASUS quality, very tweakable BIOS and JUMPERLESS!!!!!!!! Man am I a super computer geek. Now all I need is a G400 MAX.

Jammrock

------------------

Comment

Jammrock - You can with your current P2B-F board also get 2.2 Volt core! You just have to cover three pins on your CPU!!! I did it with mine and it works great!

------------------
                            HBS - ASUS P2B-S, PII 350MHz(o/c to 392MHz), Mill. G200, 128MB RAM, Cheetah 9.1GB, Plextor 32x CD-Rom, Sony CD-R, Canon Scanner - all SCSI.

ASUS P2B-S, PIII-550 (o/c to 565MHz), 512MB RAM, Seagate X15 & Cheetah XL, Matrox Mill. G200SG, SB LivePlayer, Plextor 32x CD-Rom, PlexWriter PX-R820T CD-R, Canon BJC-7000 InkJet, OkiPage 4W Laser and Canon CanoScan 300 Scanner.

Comment

Well, I got it. The P3B-F is installed in my computer and humming away. The only problem i had was getting Winblows 98 SE (Sucky Edition) to run after the change. But after a couple of hours of tweaking and so forth it is up and running perfectly. I got my CPU up to 540 MHz. A bit slower than what many people are reporting, but oh well. It will post and boot at higher speeds, but when Winblows opens I get the dreaded rundll32 error and the system locks. Since I don't have to play with jumpers anymore I will run some more tweaks and see if I can take it higher later. The P3B-F is one beastly board though. I'll report back later.

Jammrock

------------------
                              PIII 540 (120 MHz x 4.5 - 540), 256 MB PC133 SDRAM, ASUS P3B-F, Winblows 98 SE, 18 GB WD Expert HDD, Encore 6x DVD w/ Dxr3 decoder, (TEMPORARY!!!) Voodoo 3 2000 @ 175 MHz which will be replaced by a Matrox G400 MAX, Sound Blaster Live! full retail, MAG DX715T 17". A nice little toy don't ya think?

[This message has been edited by Jammrock (edited 07-16-99).]

Comment

Working...
                              X