• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Discovery: wing hit by space junk?

http://www.space.com/spaceshuttle/index.html

Crew Performs Unscheduled Inspection of Discovery Wing

11 December 2006 8:10 p.m. EST

HOUSTON – Williams' seat liner transfer has been interrupted by an unscheduled inspection of Discovery's wing leading edge by the station's robotic arm. The last-minute procedure was initiated to examine an impact event that was recorded by sensors at about 4:30 a.m. EST (0930 GMT), while the crew was still asleep. The results from the inspection have not been announced yet.
    EDIT: more

Schedule interrupted to image shuttle's port wing

The Discovery astronauts and their station counterparts interrupted their timeline tonight to make a quick inspection of the shuttle's left wing leading edge panels. Astronaut Steve Robinson in space station mission control told the crew an accelerometer in the shuttle's wing leading edge sensor system, part of a post-Columbia safety upgrade, had recorded a possible hit overnight.

"We're going to take advantage of the timeline here and perform an inspection of opportunity," Robinson said. "We'd like to take a look at the port wing tip with the SSRMS (station's robot arm). Overnight, the WLES system, a single accelerometer gave us a signal on what we think is the locations of RCC panels on the port side, 19 through 22."

The astronauts had been in the process of gearing up to unberth a new space station truss segment using the shuttle's robot arm. The plan then was to hand it off to the station arm, which would hold it overnight. The segment, known as P5, is scheduled to be attached to the station's main solar array truss during a spacewalk Tuesday.

"Before we do the handoff, we'd like to take the SSRMS out and take a look at it," Robinson said, referring to the outboard panels making up the shuttle's left wing leading edge. "The idea is go ahead and do the shuttle grapple of P5 on time but not to unberth it."

The shuttle's reinforced carbon carbon nose cap and wing leading edge panels - 22 per wing - experience the most extreme heating during re-entry and one of NASA's post-Columbia requirements is to inspect the panels in orbit to assess their health. The astronauts did just that Sunday, using cameras and a laser sensor on the end of a 50-foot boom. At that time, there were no obvious signs of any ascent damage.

The WLES system was put in place in the wake of Columbia to detect the sort of forces one might expect from wing leading edge debris impacts during launch or from micrometeoroid impacts during orbital flight. Herring said the sensors can occasionally produce "false positives" and the area of interest on the left wing may turn out to be nothing of any concern. Herring said the relatively low-energy reading was recorded around 5:30 a.m. today while the crew slept.

Tonight's unplanned inspection, he said, "should be only about a half-hour impact on the schedule." The astronauts then will press ahead with unberthing P5 while analysts on the ground study the imagery.
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 11 December 2006, 20:31.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Tile dings

The surface coating of several heat shield tiles was missing, but it was not clear how deep the damage was. The tiles in that area are more than 2.5 centimetres (1 inch) thick. NASA says the nicks may have been caused by air swirling around the area during the shuttle's ascent through the atmosphere.

The dings could potentially pose a hazard during re-entry into the atmosphere if they weakened the seal on that door. A compromised seal could allow superheated gas to creep in, possibly destroying the vehicle.

"Is this an issue? I don't know at this point," said Mission Management Team chairman John Shannon. But he added later, "I don't expect it to be a big deal."

A team is meeting at 0000 EST (0500 GMT) on Tuesday to determine whether to do careful "focused" inspections of the tiles with the robotic arm.

If necessary, the astronauts have tools onboard to fix dinged tiles during a spacewalk.
    Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Look up STS-27, they lost an entire tile off the bottom along with significant other damage. All the white spots on the dark tiles in this photo are smashed tiles:

Comment

Ablative shielded spacecraft (Orion, Dragon etc.) can't come soon enough.

Never did like mixing winged heavy lift with a manned capsule stuck on the end
        Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Shuttle-bashers in media...

Wing Leading Edge: Yes, it was registerd a hit on one of the sensor behind the wing leading edge, but this reading was very smal... The hits is mesured in Grms, and the spike registerd by the sensor was 0.12. Pocoring from the exernal thank during accent it is usual to se up to 3 Grms on the sensors...

In testing, NASA have seen that you need a impact of 10Grms to leave a scratch on a RCC, and up to 20Grms to have a smal crack...

So this is what we call "storm in a waterglass" in Norway...

And about the damaged tiles around the ET Umbilical doors is very common, this is seen on almost every mission...

Comment

In UK it's storm in a Tea cup What are the units Grms btw in base units? is it the same as impact strength ? Which is kJ/m2

Comment

Working...
            X