Memory options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Memory options

I am thinking about upgrading from 64MB of RAM to 192MB of RAM. My current RAM is CAS 3 should I buy CAS 2 and run it alongside the CAS 3 or should I buy CAS 3 or should I buy CAS 2 and get rid of the CAS 3?

PII 350
    Asus P2B

get pc 133 ram cause eventually youll need it
    on that day you pull the slow ram and get more fast ram and you havent wasted your investment

------------------
    Abit BE6 p3 450 @ 124mhz x 1/4 bus so cards arent overclocked. g4oo 32meg retail,
    Adaptec scsi, El Cheepo NIC ,monster sound 300, extra io card for lpt2 ,18 gig Quantum ,13 gig IBM ,Yamaha cdrw, Onstream 30 gig Tape,Toshiba dvd.

Comment

Well bit of a strange advice, for the P2B doesn't work with PC133 RAM, as far as I know of. Even the P3B-F needs normal PC100 RAM to work with.

Note: Is the PC133 RAM backward compatible with PC100 RAM? If not, then buy PC100 RAM instead.

The CAS shouldn't mind. If you have bios 1009 or later, set the ECC check to on and the standard by SPD. Then all CAS will be set accordingly.

Jorden
      Jordâ„¢

Comment

Thanks for the info guys; I appreciate the help. But here's another question what kind of performance boost can I expect from the upgrade from 64MB to 192MB?
        Once again my system is
        Pentium II 350
        Asus P2B
        64MB PC100 CAS3 8ns RAM
        Matrox Millenium G200
        PCI 128 Sound Card (Creative Labs)
        32x CD-ROM

Comment

That depends on what you're doing. You'll notice a big difference in memory intensive games (e.g. Half-Life). A lot of times choppiness isn't caused by a "slow system" per se, as it is the swapping between your RAM and HD.
          If you run anything with imaging or publishing, you're likely to notice a difference.
          Also, if your style (like mine) is to keep a lot of windows open at once, then you'll flip between them faster, since they'll have a better chance of being left in RAM, than cached to the HD.

------------------
          503+ rev 1.2a, 128MB PC100 RAM, K6-2/350@400,RH6 & Win98,G200 Millenium (SGRAM), no plans to buy a G400

Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I was thinking about performance boosts in games like Unreal and Half-Life. Will more RAM just prevent swapping or wil I also see a boost in frame rate?

------------------
            Pentium II 350
            Asus P2B Rev. 1008
            64 MB CAS3 8ns SDRAM
            Seagate Medalist Pro 6530
            Matrox Millenium G200
            PCI 128 Sound Card (Creative Labs)
            32x Artec CD-ROM
            SMC EtherPower II network card

Comment

If you're currently seeing choppiness, then I'd say "yes" to increased frame rate. I went from 64->128MB and noticed a serious difference in Half-Life. More specifically: large rooms/open areas where there is a lot of data to be handled.
              The thing is, if your hard drives are active, they're using the CPU (esp. important if you're not running UDMA), but more importantly, the bus. If the hard drives are accessing the bus, that's time that the video card doesn't have available to it.
              Oh, I'd also go for PC133 RAM. I believe it's backwards-compatible, and 3 months from now you'll really wish you had it.
              Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

The PC133 RAM is backwards compatable with PC100 RAM, and it runs fine on my ASUS P2B-F MB. A good place to get a quality chip is www.crucial.com .

I've heard there is a significant improvement in windows speed when you change from 64MB to 128MB of RAM. I have actually seen this difference first hand. You might consider getting 128MB of PC133 RAM, pull that PC100 RAM, and overclocking that PII 350 to 3.5x133=466. Here is where you would see a significant performance increase. Email me if you need any tips.

-neo

------------------
                Asus P2B-F, 532MHZ Pentium II (4x133 at 2.4v), Global Win VEK12 hs/fan, 128MB Micron PC133, WD 7200RPM 18Gig, SB AWE 32, Creative DVD 2x, Mitsumi CDR 2x/8x, Sony Trinitron 17", Old Matrox Video Card, and a redhead with a pair of 36Cs (O/Ced to 38Cs)

Comment

Working...
                X