No announcement yet.

Digital SPDIF on Sound Card and CD-ROM?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Digital SPDIF on Sound Card and CD-ROM?

What the heck is this used for? Is it just a digital line instead of analog, if so the CD In is analog?

If you use the digital line between the cd and soundcard, that just means you're using the DAC (digital to analogue converter) on the soundcard instead of the one on the CD-Rom. Results in cleaner sound usually.

------------------
    Andrew Gallagher - andrew@agallagher.com
    Asus P2B-S, PII-350, 64MB PC100, 12.7GB Quantum Fireball EX ATA-33, 3.2GB IBM Deskstar3 EIDE, 2x2.1GB Quantum Atlas I UWSCSI, Toshiba 6201 SCSI CD, WangDAT SCSI, MillG200 8MB (Anxiously awaiting my G400MAX), SBLive! Retail, Win98SE

Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

Also, you can keep the music digital (or so my roommate and his Live! believe). No quality loss for sampling/encoding. He could be wrong, though.

Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Alright, thanks, that is what I thought.

Comment

Working...
        X