Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Feds: Man planned to blow up Ill. mall "

WTF!

A Muslim convert who talked about his desire to wage jihad against civilians was charged Friday in a plot to set off hand grenades at a shopping mall during the Christmas rush, authorities said.

Investigators said Derrick Shareef, 22, an American citizen from Rockford, was acting alone and never actually obtained any grenades.

He was arrested Wednesday when he met with an undercover agent in a parking lot to trade a set of stereo speakers for four hand grenades and a gun, authorities said.

"He fixed on a day of December 22nd on Friday ... because it was the Friday before Christmas and thought that would be the highest concentration of shoppers that he could kill and injure," said Robert Grant, the agent in charge of the Chicago FBI office.

Authorities said Shareef had been under investigation since September, when he told an acquaintance that "he wanted to commit acts of violent jihad against targets in the United States as well as commit other crimes."

The acquaintance immediately informed the FBI, officials said.

Federal officials said Shareef planned to set off four hand grenades in garbage cans at the CherryVale shopping mall in Rockford, about 90 miles northwest of Chicago.

Other potential targets that Shareef allegedly discussed included government facilities such as courthouses and city hall, authorities said.

"While these are very serious charges, at no time was the public in any imminent peril," U.S. Attorney Patrick J. Fitzgerald said in a statement.

Shareef, who was born in the United States, was charged with one count of attempting to damage or destroy a building by fire or explosion and one count of attempting to use a weapon of mass destruction.

Shareef and his acquaintance cased the mall on Nov. 30, discussing the layout and spots where they might set off several grenades simultaneously to create more pandemonium, according to an FBI affidavit.

A spokeswoman for the mall said officials were cooperating with the investigation but referred all other questions to the U.S. attorney's office.
    Diplomacy, it's a way of saying “nice doggie”, until you find a rock!

Scary stuff.
    /meow
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
    Asus Striker ][
    8GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800 (4x2GB)
    Asus EN8800GT 512MB x2(SLI)

I am C4tX0r, hear me mew!

Comment

I wonder how many of these 'converts' are just jumping on the muslim bandwagon to justify or aphease their destuctive tendancies?
      Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own lunar space lander! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the space lander, and the blackjack. Ahhhh forget the whole thing!

Comment

Originally posted by lowlifecat View Post
        Scary stuff.

Not really.

Just looks like someone's IQ did not reach the necessary level for normal functionality in society.
        Bet you he was very happy to get a great deal like this: grenades and a gun for a pair if home stereo speakers… .

Comment

Here is a new one, just in.....WTF is wrong with this City today?

Shooting At Olglivie Transportation Center

Police and an offender reportedly exchanged gunfire at the Olglivey Transportation Center,500 W. Madison in the West Loop. The Fire Department confirmed shootings on the first, second and 38th floor; paramedics are on the scene.

According to reports, at least two people were shot---a man was shot in the head and a woman in the foot.

The shooter is still believed to be in the building, and may be holding a hostage on the 38th floor.

All trains coming in and out of the Olglivie Transportation Center have been haulted until further notice , a Metra official confirmed.

An EMS Plan 1 was called at 3:14 p.m. for the building at 500 W. Madison St., according to Fire Media Affairs Assistant Director Eve Rodriguez. “There are possible multiple gunshot victims,’’ she said.

Comment

Originally posted by gt40 View Post
            I wonder how many of these 'converts' are just jumping on the muslim bandwagon to justify or aphease their destuctive tendancies?
            Come on, it's obvious that Islam is so evil it'll even turn an american into a terrorist.

One doesn't convert to Islam by oneself. I'm waiting for the other shoe.
            /meow
            Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
            Asus Striker ][
            8GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800 (4x2GB)
            Asus EN8800GT 512MB x2(SLI)

I am C4tX0r, hear me mew!

Comment

roflmao!
              P.S. You've been Spanked!

Comment

Working...
              X