I bought a new Quantum HDD and...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I bought a new Quantum HDD and...

this thing SMOKES! I thought I'd let you all know about it because it is absolutely awesome!

Drive: Quantum Fireball Plus KA 13.6GB 7200rpm 512K buffer UDMA2/66

I ran this thing on Wintune a couple fo times because I couldn't believe the original results. I get a massive 21.7MBps unchached!
    This is running on an UDMA/33 controller on my Asus P5A Mobo. The difference in Windows is amazing! It is so much faster. Windows pop up like lightning and my computer boots up ~25seconds from "Starting Windows" till it asks for user and pass, then it opnly takes another ~10 seconds to finish the rest. I just noticed that SharkyExtreme gave a review on it today as well adn they highly recommend it, so if your looking for a new drive, this is it! I can't even imagine how fast it would be with an UDMA/66 controller.

Dave
    Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Hello!

Do run HDtach or something, cause my old and sluggish Seagate does Win98 in 35 secs too. Wintune uncached is 2MB/s, don´t laugh! You have a lot of stuff loading with Windows?

About Wintune; earlier version (WT97 ?) gave me 9-10 MB/s results. Yes, the same HD.

Antti

------------------
    PII 233@300 (3x100), Abit BX6 r2, Mill.2 "AGP" 4MB, 3D Blaster Voodoo2 12MB, SBAWE64

Comment

I agree, I trust wintune's ability to tell me useful HD information about as far as I can throw a car. My HDtach(v2.52) #s on my new WD 7200RMP 18Gig are as follows:

11.2ms Random Access Time
      28.7MB/s Read Burst Speed
      16.353MB/s Average Read Speed

www.tcdlabs.simplenet.com

-neo

------------------
      Asus P2B-F, 532MHZ Pentium II (4x133 at 2.4v), Global Win VEK12 hs/fan, 128MB Micron PC133, WD 7200RPM 18Gig, SB AWE 32, Creative DVD 2x, Mitsumi CDR 2x/8x, Sony Trinitron 17", Old Matrox Video Card, and a redhead with a pair of 36Cs (O/Ced to 38Cs)

Comment

Ok, first off, let me tell you that I tested my old HDD with the same Wintune98 and got 2.3MBps so jumping to 21.7MBps was amazing!
        Secondly, I downloaded HDtach(thanks neo, I couldn't find it earlier) and ran it. Her are my results: compared to neo's.:

9.7ms Random Access Time
        28MB/s Read Burst Speed
        18.23MB/s Average Read Speed

That's still smoking no matter how you look at it! I'd be interested in seeing other peoples results.

Dave

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

That´s FAST! Congrats!

I´m quite happy, though, that my HD doesn´t smoke. I do.

Antti

Comment

I agree with your KA observations. It is superb. SiSoft Sandra gives it faster random read and write benchmarks than my Fasttrack array of two Quantum EX drives by about 9%-they are current UDMA 33 drives and no slouches. The sequential benchmarks are only about 7% slower than the Fasttrack!!! I have reinstalled the operating system and applications to the KA and left my swap file on it and the visible improvement of desktop and application launching is astounding.

Comment

Interesting, what OS/version are you running? Are you using the native M$ drivers or the one from ALI? If ALI, which version?

Comment

Working...
              X