Anyone want a P4 Laptop?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone want a P4 Laptop?

So I have in my possession a spare laptop. I figured I'd rather see it go to a fellow MURCer, so I'm listing it here before I put it on eBay.

It's a perfectly functioning Toshiba Pentium 4 2.4 (or 2.6?)Ghz with 512MB. It's a Satellite A25-S207. Specs:

P4 2.66 Ghz
    512MB RAM
    15" Screen on Trident CyberAladdin P4 (Cyberblade X2, methinks) - nice and bright
    Hard Drive Negotiable - the 40Gb that came with it had some corruption, I've got a 60GB in now...
    Wifi A+B
    Has the media reader built in (SD),
    DVD reader/CD Burner,

It has the big bumped-out speakers that the Satellites had a year or two back. It's the blue clamshell kind.

It's essentially two-generations-back P4. It's very speedy, certainly the equal of my Pentium-M workhorse in terms of raw processing power (if not battery life). The battery holds a charge, it comes with the charger block and everything.

Essentially this was a partly-working unit that I souped up. The RAM and hard disk are replacements, and I had to clean it all out inside - still need to clean the outside a bit.

The ONE busted piece? The latch doesn't stay latched all the time. It's a cheap-o plastic piece, they break easily. This one isn't broken, it just doesn't stay in place. I am hesitant to open the screen housing (they often contain the wireless antennae) just to check the spring, but that's probably the issue.

Anyway, I figure I could shill this thing on eBay but make me an offer! I'd rather see it go to a MURCer! It was supposed to go to Julie, but I have a ThinkPad I'd rather fix up - the ThinkPad is a Centrino and much lighter but with a smaller screen... but would make her happier. So I'm selling this one to fund the repair of the other.
    Last edited by Gurm; 9 December 2006, 14:57.
    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
    If only life were as easy as you
    I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
    I would still get screwed

patiently awaiting model #/pics 8P
    Better to let one think you are a fool, than speak and prove it

Comment

Model number is Satellite A25-S207. Pics forthcoming. Looks like someone sold a souped-up version (with Wifi-ABG, a gig of ram, and a 100GB hdd) for $600. This one is bone stock, so I'm still thinking a bunch less than that. *shrug*
      The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

Comment

Pics here:

Here we have the closed laptop. Yeah, it was in someone's bag, so there are a couple scuff marks. They're really not bad at all, but I took the picture with the flash so you would see them as "highlighted" as possible. You can also see that this is the model with the "leave it closed and use it as a CD/MP3/DVD player" controls.

Here's the front panel. Yeah it's blurred by the flash, but you can really see the fact that the latch just doesn't QUITE keep it shut. Again, the spring seems ok but the latch just doesn't catch. It's a $1 plastic part, I just haven't cracked the screen casing open yet!

The bottom. Note the wifi insignia, the MS license key, etc. - and yes, the machine comes pre-activated with Windows XP Home and all the latest drivers - including some pretty hard to find updated drivers for the video!

A close-up of the model number and MS sticker. DON'T STEAL MY KEY, YOU BASTARDS! (Not that you want a HOME key anyway, haha!)

The side. SD slot and DVD/CD-RW combo.

The open beastie in all its glory. Please note that the screen is about as pristine as a machine of this age gets! I haven't really thoroughly cleaned the unit yet, I was originally going to give this to Julie.

I didn't snap pics of it either ON or of the power cord because Julie went and wedged them in behind her scrapbooking area which is currently "off-limits". The battery DOES hold a charge, but a month of powering it up for a minute and then off again does kill it. It's an old battery, what can I say? I do know that I got a reasonable amount of time out of it during testing after a full overnight charge.
        Last edited by Gurm; 9 December 2006, 14:37.

Comment

Working...
        X