IE 7.0 always defaults to microsoft as the home page

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IE 7.0 always defaults to microsoft as the home page

IE 7.0 + Vista = always defaults to www.microsoft.com as the main home page no matter what I do.

Have you run into this?

Thanks,
    Elie

Had it with IE6 after we cleaned off loads of spyware. Never fixed it becuase the Student wanted his laptop back.
    Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Originally posted by Elie View Post
      IE 7.0 + Vista = always defaults to www.microsoft.com as the main home page no matter what I do.

Have you run into this?
      Fix involves a win9x boot disc, FDISK and an XP CD
      Dr. Mordrid
      ----------------------------
      An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Mordrid View Post
        Fix involves a win9x boot disc, FDISK and an XP CD
        I was thinking more along the lines of SuSE 10.2 but that could work
        Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

Originally posted by Elie View Post

Have you run into this?

Thanks,
          Elie
          It could be a permissions issue. I think you mentioned in another post that your PC is on a domain and the Admins have locked you out of a few things. Could be related.
          P.S. You've been Spanked!

Comment

i was thinking the same. if this was XP or 2k i would have looked at your permissions.
            /meow
            Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
            Asus Striker ][
            8GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800 (4x2GB)
            Asus EN8800GT 512MB x2(SLI)

I am C4tX0r, hear me mew!

Comment

The home page can be set in Group Policy. If you're on a domain, and not the domain admin, you're not going to be able to fix it.

If it's not coming from Group Policy, then it's almost certainly the result of some kind of spyware.
              Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

thanks guys I now managed to get full admin rights, so i will check the Group Policies etc.

Cheers,
                Elie

Comment

Local admin or domain admin? Domain policy can override local policy, so local admin won't necessarily help you.
                  Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

FIXED!!!!
                    it was Mcafee that blocked all changes in IE7.0 including the homepages etc.

Just remove it from the "On Access scan" int he properties of Mcafee and it's cool.

Regards,
                    Elie

Comment

Just one more point on the huge "Why McAffee is worse than other malware and viruses" list.
                      There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Working...
                      X