Vista/Office 2007

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vista/Office 2007

BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service

Interesting non-techie/non-review analysis on Vista and Office 2007.

I like the last sentence. I suspect that the EU will lam into it, as things like speech recognition have no place in an OS.
    Brian (the devil incarnate)

So why does apple get to include speech recognition in OS X, but Microsoft can't put it in Vista?

macOS Sonoma brings stunning screen savers, desktop widgets, new ways to share work and web apps along with fun personalization tools and Game mode.
    Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

Maybe because Microsoft can't get it right

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=c463074f30
      Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own lunar space lander! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the space lander, and the blackjack. Ahhhh forget the whole thing!

Comment

Originally posted by gt40 View Post
        Maybe because Microsoft can't get it right

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=c463074f30
        That does not surprise me! I've been using speech recognition for ~15 years. Most of the time, I have been using IBM products, starting with VoiceType 1 (on 21 diskettes for the English version and 20 for the French version). I then went on to SimplySpeaking Gold. Unfortunately, IBM never made the transition to XP, so I transferred to Dragon NaturallySpeaking, typically with ~99% correct recognition (on a good day). I gave the Vista VR a good try, with full training, and I don't think I ever got better results than ~75%, i.e., one word out of 4 is transcribed incorrectly (same machine as used for DNS). It is crap.

Of course, IBM and Dragon started developing their VR engines 20 years ago, while MS started only 3 or 4 years ago, so they have a lot of catching up to do. In fact, I was getting much better results with VoiceType 1-3 (1990-1995) than with Vista VR, although there was a major difference, in that VT had to be dictated with discrete words (a very slight pause between each word) whereas all the others allow fluent speech, generally a phrase at a time.

Think about sentences like, "Please write to Mr Wright right away, to tell him two o'clock is too late!". DNS and SSG inevitably get this kind of thing correct, despite the homophones. Vista VR doesn't.

What is worrying is that people will try it, decide it is useless and condemn VR as a gimmick that will never make it big time, while the good systems, like DNS, will automatically be condemned along with it.

OK, I'll be frank. If I start a 3000 word article, the accuracy may be great to start with. By the end, it will be relatively poor (~90-95%) because my voice gets tired and I tend to start slurring my words. Similarly, if I have a bad night or a cold, the accuracy is not as good as when I'm fighting fit.

Comment

I haven't used voice rec software in ages. I'm surprised that some of them have ~99% accuracy. That's pretty impressive. I may have to give DNS a spin one of these days.

cool demo.
          Last edited by Jammrock; 4 December 2006, 09:53.
          “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
          –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

That "cool demo" is a cheat! DNS does not put in punctuation until you tell it to!

Comment

Working...
            X