No announcement yet.

Sorry, more bad news for ABIT users....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sorry, more bad news for ABIT users....

Eventhough I am an Abit fan, I have more bad news for you about the BE6. Just found this over AGN3D:

We just got of the phone with ABIT USA a few moments ago with regards to some information we recieved from Gary at Overclockin.com and Alex at Motherboard Monitor. It has become evident that some ABIT BE6 motherboards have a problem with the BIOS setting for the core voltage of the processor. Regardless of what this is set at (e.g. 2.1, 2.2, 2.3V DC), the setting always reverts back to 2.0V DC when the BIOS is saved and re-booted. ABIT has acknowledged the problem and has issued an early recall on these boards. Apparently no more than 200 boards were released to the public with these faulty characteristics. Better check your boards peeps! This could make for some unhappy overclockers who need voltage settings in excess of 2.0V DC. Don't worry, I was assured that ABIT will promptly take care of your problem.
    Another matter regarding voltage. I was talking with Alex at Motherboard Monitor this morning and he has indicated that his software is having difficulty picking up the -5V DC rail on the BE6. He says there is no reading indicated on this port?? I brought this point up with ABIT also and after some preliminary checks with their BIOS software he confirmed that there were no readings for -5V DC and -3.3VDC. I am waiting on the ABIT tech. to give me a call back after he runs some more proprietary software in order to get to the bottom of this issue. I will keep you posted as soon as new information becomes available. It seems as though ABIT is encountering some growing pains with the BE6. I wonder if these two problems are related?

------------------
    Yeah, you know the score...
    (ICQ: 29468849)

HAHAHAHA...ASUS RuLeZ!!!!! And now that I tweaked the BIOS on my new P3B-F it works perfectly. No more problems with rebooting, shutting down in Winblows98 or anything. And I don't have to worry about incompatabilities, unstable boards or BIOS's and the P3B-F is JumperFree(TM, R, C).

Jammrock

------------------
    PIII 540 (120 MHz x 4.5 - 540), 256 MB PC133 SDRAM, ASUS P3B-F, Winblows 98 SuckyEdition, 18 GB WD Expert HDD, Encore 6x DVD w/ Dxr3 decoder, (TEMPORARY!!!) Voodoo 3 2000 @ 175 MHz which will be replaced by a Matrox G400 MAX, Sound Blaster Live! full retail, MAG DX715T 17
    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

[This message has been edited by M Ragsdale (edited 07-21-99).]

Comment

I have a BH6, and it has been one the most stable boards I have run extensively. As far as overclocking goes, it does rather well. Compatibility...It does fine there too. I have stuffed a lot of crap in here, and it just keeps humming happily along. I am currently running my 300a at 504 2.2v. It will run 464 1.9v with no problems. I think they are good boards. At least ABit decided to pull the boards they knew were faulty before they got mass distributed. I know that Asus has had their share of problems and incompatiblities, and all were taken care of...Most cases you had to simply get yours rma'd. ABit has done the same, and in my experience, they are very lenient when it comes to running over your warranty, and having a known problem.
        Matt

------------------
        Is this some kind of bust?
        Yes, it's very impressive.

Comment

I have always used ABIT boards and never had problems. But talking about ASUS boards...man, i have had many problems! Don't take me wrong, I like ASUS but you have to realize, that every company has sometimes problems with it's products.

So stop laughing...

Comment

Damn, Hope my new one isn't one of the ones that needs to be recalled. Will check it once it arrives tomorrow...

Yep, Jammrock, ASUS Rules alright. That's why my PIII-450 is rock solid @ 581 (4.5 * 129) with PC100SDRAM (6ns) and yours can only do 120... He-He-He-He... Mine is Rock Solid @ 129 - no problems - no tweaking necessary, and I run at 1.9V - no overvoltage or high temps here (37-38C running Prime95 - with factory fan and heatsink). Oh and the BIOS is "Soft Menu II" - no jumpers or dip switches here - ever.

Doesn't feel real good does it... Anyway, don't want a pissin' match. Just thought I'd let you get a taste of what it feels like to be told your product that you invested your hard (or easily) earned cash in is crap/not worth the sand it was made from...

Flame-On (Human torch verbal command to convert his flesh to flame so that if I get flamed for this post - it won't hurt...)

------------------
            Running an ABIT BX6 R2, PIII-450 @ 581Mhz, 128MB (64x2) PC100SDRAM (running @ 129), Matrox Mystique G200 8MB, SBLive! Value, Adaptec AHA-2940UW (Dual Channel)
            All kinds of other SCSI and ATAPI goodies....
            -------------
            Waiting for my G400Max Impatiently, increasing system performance to give it a good home.....
            Gaming Rig.

- Gigabyte GA-7N400-Pro
            - AMD Athlon 3200+ XP
            - 1.5GB Dual Channel DDR 433Mhz SDRAM
            - 6.1 Digital Audio
            - Gigabit Lan (Linksys 1032)
            - 4 x 120GB SATA Drives, RAID 0+1 (Striped/Mirrored)
            - Sony DRU-500A DVD/+/-/R/RW
            - Creative 8x DVD-ROM
            - LS120 IDE Floppy
            - Zip 100 IDE
            - PNY Ultra 5900 (256MB)
            - NEC FE950
            - DTT2500 Cambridge Soundworks

Comment

Abit is great. My Cel450a runs great... with no "asus-nail polish/teflon tape" modification necessary. Back to the point. There driver support is awesome... bios update every 4-6 weeks. It helps having the best selling mobo in the world.

Comment

Abit is great. My Cel450a runs great... with no "asus-nail polish/teflon tape" modification necessary. Back to the point. There driver support is awesome... bios update every 4-6 weeks. It helps having the best selling mobo in the world.

Comment

Hi Jammrock,
                  Is your P3Bf the one with 6 PCI and no ISA?
                  If so, can you tell me if ACPI works perfectly. No fans on etc. I might just get one then.
                  Cheers
                  Brent

Comment

The Asus P3B-F comes with either 5 PCI/2 ISA or 6 PCI/1 ISA. There is no version without ISA.

Comment

silly

[This message has been edited by Jammrock (edited 07-22-99).]

Comment

me

[This message has been edited by Jammrock (edited 07-22-99).]

Comment

Chris H,

WRONG!!!!! There IS a version of the P3B-F that has 6 PCI and NO (as in zero) ISA slots. Mine is the 5 PCI, 2 ISA flavor (a mix up in shipping, but since I got the board before they "officially" came out I am not complaining). All PC99 compliant motherboards will not have any ISA slots. So more than likely Intel's Camino chipset will be legacy free (about damn time).

Brent,

I have ACPI disabled, because of the cooling system I use for my CPU. I have had some minor troubles with rebooting (as I have had with many different motherboards), but a few BIOS tweaks has fixed that for the most part. The P3B-F is a rock solid board, and jumperless.

Guyver,

First off, I build computer systems for people all the time so I have used many a motherboard in my days (you may have too, so please don't get mad if I go a little off on you). Of all of the motherboards I have used I have NEVER had an ASUS motherboard go bad, have never had incompatibility problems, instability problems or anything of the like...not even heard of a single ASUS recall (3 recalls so far for Abit that I know of). On the other hand, about 15% of all Abit boards I have bought have gone bad within 3 months. That is not including all of the 'other' problems Abit boards have. Now obviously since I have used Abit in the past and will continue using them I think Abit is a good company and makes a great board (UDMA 66 on the BE6 is a real treat). But I also think that ASUS is by far better, and now that ASUS has a jumperless motherboard ASUS will become the dominate player in the overclocking industry too. As for my CPU speed, it is not my chip that is having troubles, my Voodoo3 can't handle the high bus speeds. The CPU runs fine, but the video is what constantly kills me (and possibly the RAM, but that's another story). To prove it, my 3DMark MAx scores actually drop from 504 to 540 because the video card craps out, but the synthetic CPU mark goes consistantly up with the increase in clock speed.

So to sum up, ASUS and Abit are both good. P3B-F is the best motherboard I have ever used, and no "asus-nail polish/teflon tape" (casket) is needed to overclock on it. The P3B-F has a PC99 compliant version that has ZERO ISA slots and a whole bunch of everything else (including the most tweakable BIOS I have ever laid eyes on).

There I said it, now fear me cowards...

Jammrock

------------------
                          PIII 540 (120 MHz x 4.5 - 540), 256 MB PC133 SDRAM, ASUS P3B-F, Winblows 98 SuckyEdition, 18 GB WD Expert HDD, Encore 6x DVD w/ Dxr3 decoder, (TEMPORARY!!!) Voodoo 3 2000 @ 175 MHz which will be replaced by a Matrox G400 MAX, Sound Blaster Live! full retail, MAG DX715T 17

Comment

Jammrock,

Cool... That was clear, concice, and didn't put down "personally" anyone's system. That was a great reply.

I'm interested in what tweaks you've had to do to get your P3B-F to reboot properly "most of the time". I've not had any trouble rebooting my BX6, but as I work on more than just my system, I may run across this in the near future. I work for a company that currently uses about 70PCs, 10 Servers (NT and UNIX), and supports our clients each with a range of 3-300 PCs and 1-5 servers with operating systems running a pretty full range
                            (VMS/AIX/UNIX(SCO)/NT/95,A,B,C/98,SE,WFW3.11)
                            so I see a lot of "different" configurations and problems on a daily basis.

Cool - Now I've got to go put on some Gold Bond powder where my asbestos suit chaffed my nads.... He-He

------------------
                            Running an ABIT BX6 R2, PIII-450 @ 581Mhz, 128MB (64x2) PC100SDRAM (running @ 129), Matrox Mystique G200 8MB, SBLive! Value, Adaptec AHA-2940UW (Dual Channel)
                            All kinds of other SCSI and ATAPI goodies....
                            -------------
                            Waiting for my G400Max Impatiently, increasing system performance to give it a good home.....
                            Gaming Rig.

- Gigabyte GA-7N400-Pro
                            - AMD Athlon 3200+ XP
                            - 1.5GB Dual Channel DDR 433Mhz SDRAM
                            - 6.1 Digital Audio
                            - Gigabit Lan (Linksys 1032)
                            - 4 x 120GB SATA Drives, RAID 0+1 (Striped/Mirrored)
                            - Sony DRU-500A DVD/+/-/R/RW
                            - Creative 8x DVD-ROM
                            - LS120 IDE Floppy
                            - Zip 100 IDE
                            - PNY Ultra 5900 (256MB)
                            - NEC FE950
                            - DTT2500 Cambridge Soundworks

Comment

Ooops
                              Good answer Jammrock
                              Yes the P3B-F IS available without ISA, my mistake. And, yes I also know that all PC99 boards are legacy free - oops again - I'm not having a good day.

Anyway, at the moment I'm in the market for an jumperless overclock friendly mobo. I just so happen to be choosing between a BE6 and a P3B-F.

Did you have BIOS problems? A friend of mine mentioned a shut-down problem.

[This message has been edited by Chris H (edited 07-22-99).]

Comment

Working...
                              X