X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paxil: birth defects of heart

Pregnant women warned to avoid antidepressant Paxil

Posted 11/30/2006 11:31 AM ET

WASHINGTON (AP) — Pregnant women and those who plan to become pregnant should avoid taking the antidepressant Paxil if possible because of the risk of birth defects, a group of obstetricians said Thursday.

The opinion issued by the obstetric practice committee of the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists comes nearly a year after the Food and Drug Administration and manufacturer GlaxoSmithKline reclassified the drug to reflect studies in pregnant women that showed the drug poses a risk to the fetus.

Two studies of pregnant women who were taking Paxil during their first trimester have shown that their babies have heart defects at a rate that is as much as twice the norm, the FDA said at the time.

The American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists also said the decision whether to treat pregnant women with SSRIs, a class of antidepressants that includes Prozac, Zoloft and Lexapro as well as Paxil, should be considered on an individual basis.

Exposure to SSRIs late in pregnancy has been associated with short-term complications in newborns, the doctors said.

However, reproductive-age women have the highest prevalence of major depressive disorders. The benefit to the mother of treatment with any of the drugs may outweigh the risk to the fetus.

The opinion appears in the December issue of the journal Obstetrics & Gynecology.
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 1 December 2006, 03:04.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

My wife's doctors have always said no antidepressants of any kind while pregnant. This doesn't surprise me at all.
    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Or, much simpler, simply no kind of any medication which isn't absolutelly neccesarry?

Comment

Margie went off everything but pre-natal vitamins, including over the counter stuff, unless cleared by her OB/GYN....and he's a picky one. He even took her off certain foods & sodas.
        Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Mordrid View Post
          Margie went off everything but pre-natal vitamins, including over the counter stuff, unless cleared by her OB/GYN....and he's a picky one. He even took her off certain foods & sodas.
          Aspartham?
          If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Originally posted by Technoid View Post
            Aspartham?
            My wife's OB/GYN did.

@Doc: Your wife's doc sound like mine.

@Nowhere: You're single, aren't you?
            “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
            –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Originally posted by Technoid View Post
              Aspartham?
              Less that than phosphoric acid, which leaches calcium from bones.
              Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Jamm, nope. But TBH I'm not sure I can influence her about much of anything...

Update: seems she agrees with me, with putting away basically...everything 3 months before pregnancy
                Last edited by Nowhere; 1 December 2006, 15:40.

Comment

Working...
                X