Houston, Wii have a problem!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Houston, Wii have a problem!

Where could I get insurance quote for my Wii?

Getting out of hand

Zealous Nintendo Wii players are breaking TVs and windows with their "wiimote" controls.

Picture this. You're lining up the perfect shot in Wii Bowling, remote in hand. You set up the shot, swing the remote with all the strength you can muster, and... follow through a little more than you intended.

Somehow the remote leaves your sweaty-palmed grip and bang, smash, there goes your TV, window, photo of your granny, anything that happens to be in the path of the newly liberated remote.

Hold on, though. If you're wearing the (supplied) wrist strap, no harm done, right? So you'd think. As you can see, some Wii owners are finding the strap decidedly lacking. (Check out nascent site wiihaveaproblem.com for more strap malfunctions.) The problem isn't with the amply broad strap itself, but the considerably narrower section that connects the strap with the remote, which is prone to fray in some circumstances. The result is smashed remotes, smashed televisions, smashed windows, and unhappy (or, at least, somewhat red-faced) customers.

Teething hardware troubles are hardly new to the world of console launches, especially in the last year or so. The Xbox 360's original overheating issues are well documented, with the first production run of consoles suffering what is generally regarded to be an unusually high failure rate. We're even hearing the start of mutterings about overheating issues with some brand new PS3s. But it's probably the first time a console's design has lead --albeit indirectly -- to quite such a catalogue of destruction. To its credit, Nintendo appears to be happy to replace the wrist strap in some circumstances, but if there really is an underlying design weakness, then it needs to be addressed before an unfortunate (or worse, sue-happy) bystander gets beaned by a stray remote.

Sure, it's easy to laugh at the misfortune of these hapless Wii'ers, especially if you're still combing stores for miles around looking for yours. One broken strap could be regarded as misfortune, but as the volume of fractured straps grows, it starts to look more like carelessness -- or, at least, evidence of a lack of real-world testing.

In the meantime, wise Wii owners will want to consider hunting round the house for something a little stronger -- or waiting for one of the more opportunistic peripheral manufacturers to cash in on the opportunity to flog reinforced replacements at an inflated price. That's business.

Pictures from here:

Diplomacy, it's a way of saying “nice doggie”, until you find a rock!

Videogaming-related online strip by Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins. Includes news and commentary.
    We have enough youth - What we need is a fountain of smart!

i7-920, 6GB DDR3-1600, HD4870X2, Dell 27" LCD

Comment

If you can't hold on the the controller then it's your own damn fault. They can try and sue but it your chucking something at your TV then what do you expect?
      Titanium is the new bling!
      (you heard from me first!)

Comment

Caught wind of this a few days ago and it reeks of someone doing something stupid and wanting to place the blame elsewhere.

Let's face it, if say your Wii remote actually happened to slip from your hands, it'd take a good amount of momentum for it to slam into your TV and crack it. Especially if you were a good distance from said TV and had the wrist strap on.
        “And, remember: there's no 'I' in 'irony'” ~ Merlin Mann

Comment

Looks like some has just taken a few pics of broken laptop/TV screens and done a little creative writing
          Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own lunar space lander! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the space lander, and the blackjack. Ahhhh forget the whole thing!

Comment

Originally posted by gt40 View Post
            Looks like some has just taken a few pics of broken laptop/TV screens and done a little creative writing
            Don't think so, crap like this doesn't amaze me anymore.

Here is Yahoo take on this:

Comment

I sure hope none of these wii users ever plan on using a hammer
              We have enough youth - What we need is a fountain of smart!

i7-920, 6GB DDR3-1600, HD4870X2, Dell 27" LCD

Comment

Find in-depth gaming news and hands-on reviews of the latest video games, video consoles and accessories.

This link contains a video (low quality) of a wii remote slipping from his hand.
                Main: Dual Xeon LV2.4Ghz@3.1Ghz | 3X21" | NVidia 6800 | 2Gb DDR | SCSI
                Second: Dual PIII 1GHz | 21" Monitor | G200MMS + Quadro 2 Pro | 512MB ECC SDRAM | SCSI
                Third: Apple G4 450Mhz | 21" Monitor | Radeon 8500 | 1,5Gb SDRAM | SCSI

Comment

Well there's no doubt that the wrist straps need to be improved, but I still say that this is equally a result of overzealous use. I mean, come on, you're holding something in your hand that has no real grip to it, of course you shouldn't act like you're throwing it or other similar action with any excessive amount of force.

Remember, we're talking about enough force to crack a TV screen. I don't know about anyone else, but I've hit plenty of those hard enough (accidently of course) that I thought they'd crack and they didn't.

I've read some comments about the connecting wire being like a piece of fishing line, which, if it's supposedly breaking that easily, doesn't ring true for even some of the lowest rated fishing line.
                  “And, remember: there's no 'I' in 'irony'” ~ Merlin Mann

Comment

Originally posted by ZokesPro View Post
                    If you can't hold on the the controller then it's your own damn fault. They can try and sue but it your chucking something at your TV then what do you expect?
                    Theres the point exactly. The games ASK you to do such things.
                    Since there is NO way for the console to limit your actions, they can be held responsible.
                    That is the way the game is supposed to be controlled.

Maybe they should have rubber grips or housing ?
                    PC-1 Fractal Design Arc Mini R2, 3800X, Asus B450M-PRO mATX, 2x8GB B-die@3800C16, AMD Vega64, Seasonic 850W Gold, Black Ice Nemesis/Laing DDC/EKWB 240 Loop (VRM>CPU>GPU), Noctua Fans.
                    Nas : i3/itx/2x4GB/8x4TB BTRFS/Raid6 (7 + Hotspare) Xpenology
                    +++ : FSP Nano 800VA (Pi's+switch) + 1600VA (PC-1+Nas)

Comment

Maybe they are just trying to make the Wii look bad. At least so far, that's what it looks like. Cause for one, TV's are really damn solid and two, the Wii is nothing short of a success as compared to the Xbox360 (overheating issues in the beginning) and the PS3 with the lack of supply (and it seems like the console crashes after an hours worth of gameplay).
                      Titanium is the new bling!
                      (you heard from me first!)

Comment

Originally posted by ND66 View Post
                        Don't think so, crap like this doesn't amaze me anymore.

Here is Yahoo take on this:

WTF? If you're 2 years old and have tiny baby hands, I can't see how you would grip it anyhow.. and good luck getting him to use the wrist strap as well.

Comment

Originally posted by ZokesPro View Post
                          Maybe they are just trying to make the Wii look bad. At least so far, that's what it looks like. Cause for one, TV's are really damn solid and two, the Wii is nothing short of a success as compared to the Xbox360 (overheating issues in the beginning) and the PS3 with the lack of supply (and it seems like the console crashes after an hours worth of gameplay).
                          I think the TV problems are with Retro-projector TV's, which are basically a paper-like screen with a small projector pointing at it.
                          A remote will quite happily go through that...
                          PC-1 Fractal Design Arc Mini R2, 3800X, Asus B450M-PRO mATX, 2x8GB B-die@3800C16, AMD Vega64, Seasonic 850W Gold, Black Ice Nemesis/Laing DDC/EKWB 240 Loop (VRM>CPU>GPU), Noctua Fans.
                          Nas : i3/itx/2x4GB/8x4TB BTRFS/Raid6 (7 + Hotspare) Xpenology
                          +++ : FSP Nano 800VA (Pi's+switch) + 1600VA (PC-1+Nas)

Comment

Originally posted by KvHagedorn View Post
                            WTF? If you're 2 years old and have tiny baby hands, I can't see how you would grip it anyhow.. and good luck getting him to use the wrist strap as well.

That's why I said it.
                            I have kids, I know how it works.

Comment

On the other hand, it's good for teaching english.

Chuck
                              秋音的爸爸

Comment

Working...
                              X