• "Underdog"

""Not plane nor bird nor even frog...it's just little ol' me — Underdog!"

Release Date: August 3, 2007
    Studio: Walt Disney Pictures
    Director: Frederik Du Chau
    Screenwriter: Joe Piscatella, Craig A. Williams
    Starring: Jason Lee, Peter Dinklage, Amy Adams
    Genre: Adventure, Comedy, Family

Plot Summary: A live-action bigscreen version of "Underdog". The film will use a CGI-enhanced live dog to portray the eponymous hero, a talking canine with super powers.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

I can't see how this will turn out well. This obsession with making cartoons into live-action features peppered with CGI really has to stop. A pure CGI film animated like The Incredibles or such would have been a far better way to do it.
    “And, remember: there's no 'I' in 'irony'” ~ Merlin Mann

Comment

Worked for "Babe", "Roger Rabbit" etc.
      Dr. Mordrid
      ----------------------------
      An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Just as many that it didn't work for as well. Talking animal movies are one thing, and Roger Rabbit's whole plot was based on cartoons mingling with reality. There are always going to be cartoons that translate well from that medium to live-action, but that doesn't mean that something like Underdog should.
        “And, remember: there's no 'I' in 'irony'” ~ Merlin Mann

Comment

Agree with jessterw, I saw the subject and thought, that could be okay. Then saw it was live action and thought it's going to really suck.

Roger Rabbit worked because the plot was about a world where toons and humans interacted with some of the conflict that results from that. Other mixed movies try to make it so the animated/3d characters are a normal part of daily life.

Babe was animals that talked to each other, the humans still interacted with them as normal animals.

TMNT (which is going back to its animated/comic roots) worked because it is more super hero mutant type story then random walking animals living in a mostly human society.
          Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra 9, Opteron 170 Denmark 2x2Ghz, 2 GB Corsair XMS, Gigabyte 6600, Gentoo Linux
          Motion Computing M1400 -- Tablet PC, Ubuntu Linux

"if I said you had a beautiful body would you take your pants off and dance around a bit?" --Zapp Brannigan

Comment

Originally posted by Jessterw View Post
            I can't see how this will turn out well. This obsession with making cartoons into live-action features peppered with CGI really has to stop. A pure CGI film animated like The Incredibles or such would have been a far better way to do it.

Agreed. I hated Roger Rabbit, btw.. mainly because of the over exaggerated emoting of the rabbit thing and Bob Hoskins looked so forced in the role.

Comment

Working...
            X