Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Starship Troopers 3"

When: 2007

Director/Writer: Edward Neumeier (writer Starship Troopers 1/2, RoboCop 1/2/3)

John Rico: Casper Van Dien

Was just having a chinwag to my old bud, Ed Neumeier, who says Sony are about push the greenlight on his “Starship Troopers 3”.

“Looks like - fingers crossed - Sony is moving forward”, Neumeier, who will write & direct the film, tells Moviehole. “Plans are afoot to shoot next year. Casper Van Dien will be back as Colonel John Rico. There'll be a new bug or two. Also draft riots. Religion makes a comeback. And the Federation has a new weapon.”
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

I remember Dan and I renting the second film because we both liked the first and it looked like it might be a good, darker sequel...

It has to be one of the worst films I've seen in a long time; definitely the worst sequel for what was a good movie.

It'll be amusing to see how many people never realized there was even a second film given what I can only assume was its direct-to-video nature.
    “And, remember: there's no 'I' in 'irony'” ~ Merlin Mann

Comment

I agree, the second movie was a complete disaster if you ask me, it looked as if it was filmed in one location, and that Sepia was the only colour they could afford lol.

Anyway, I hope they do better in the third installment.

If I were the troopers, I would order the planet be nuked from orbit, saves everyone the hassles lol.

Cheers,
      Elie

Comment

??? there was a number 2???
        /meow
        Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
        Asus Striker ][
        8GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800 (4x2GB)
        Asus EN8800GT 512MB x2(SLI)

I am C4tX0r, hear me mew!

Comment

Yup, there was, and I'm glad I didn't see it till the end.

The first one reminded me of Star Craft: Brood Wars (terrain campaign). Not sure which came first, Starship Troopers or Brood Wars.

Comment

Starship Troopers was a 1959 novel by the great sci-fi writer Robert A. Heinlein (please read "Stranger in a Strange Land" and "The Moon Is a Harsh Mistress").

That part of Brood Wars was, like a lot of other similar story lines since 1959, a Starship Troopers knock off.
            Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 29 November 2006, 16:13.
            Dr. Mordrid

Comment

I'm still shocked there was a second one. I never knew. ANd if I didn't know, it couldn't have been any good.
              “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
              –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

It wasn't. It was horrid. All the things that made the first movie so great were nowhere to be seen. Well, there were a couple things, but they must have been put through a meat grinder and then shat out.

I almost wish we'd watched it in Japanese or something...
                “And, remember: there's no 'I' in 'irony'” ~ Merlin Mann

Comment

the second one ranks up there with Highlander, thefuxythingthatIdontwanttoremember, and highlander 3
                  Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

Originally posted by Jessterw View Post
                    It wasn't. It was horrid. All the things that made the first movie so great were nowhere to be seen. Well, there were a couple things, but they must have been put through a meat grinder and then shat out.

I almost wish we'd watched it in Japanese or something...

The "good things from the first movie" were literally scenes from the first movie spliced into the second movie and presented as new action.
                    P.S. You've been Spanked!

Comment

The original Highlander was good the sequels where bad. The same goes for Starship Troopers the first one was a good sci-fi action flick, the second one was a very very awfull B-movie, avoid it at all costs.
                      Main: Dual Xeon LV2.4Ghz@3.1Ghz | 3X21" | NVidia 6800 | 2Gb DDR | SCSI
                      Second: Dual PIII 1GHz | 21" Monitor | G200MMS + Quadro 2 Pro | 512MB ECC SDRAM | SCSI
                      Third: Apple G4 450Mhz | 21" Monitor | Radeon 8500 | 1,5Gb SDRAM | SCSI

Comment

I remember Starship Troopers as fascist propaganda. Never read the novel nor seen (or been aware of) a sequel.
                        Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
                        [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

Fascist might be a reach; pro-military might be a better term. Since Heinlein was a graduate of the US Navy Academy at West Point and had served 6 years as a Naval officer that is IMO understandable.

In the novel Juan Rico (a Filipino & not an Argentine as in the movie) evolves from naive kid to hardened Federal Service officer as in the movie, but with much more depth (of course).

Heinlein uses him to explore issues like war, capital punishment and civic responsibility in terms of a society organized along military lines; not unlike that at West Point.

Politically Heinlein is best described as a Libertarian, a system which blends both liberal and conservative beliefs.

The late Nobel Prize winning economists Milton Friedman and Friedrich Hayek are also generally considered to be economic Libertarians.

Many observers see the US populace as becoming more and more Libertarian, though not necessarily calling themselves that.
                          Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 30 November 2006, 08:18.
                          Dr. Mordrid

Comment

The second starship troopers looked like it was shot on a VHS camera.
                            It cost THAT much to make....

Bloody awful...

The first one though, very hard to beat...
                            PC-1 Fractal Design Arc Mini R2, 3800X, Asus B450M-PRO mATX, 2x8GB B-die@3800C16, AMD Vega64, Seasonic 850W Gold, Black Ice Nemesis/Laing DDC/EKWB 240 Loop (VRM>CPU>GPU), Noctua Fans.
                            Nas : i3/itx/2x4GB/8x4TB BTRFS/Raid6 (7 + Hotspare) Xpenology
                            +++ : FSP Nano 800VA (Pi's+switch) + 1600VA (PC-1+Nas)

Comment

I thought the first one sucked monkey nuts... but that's just my opinion.
                              Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra 9, Opteron 170 Denmark 2x2Ghz, 2 GB Corsair XMS, Gigabyte 6600, Gentoo Linux
                              Motion Computing M1400 -- Tablet PC, Ubuntu Linux

"if I said you had a beautiful body would you take your pants off and dance around a bit?" --Zapp Brannigan

Comment

Working...
                              X