Roy Benavidez

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roy Benavidez

Who? My friend pointed out this story to me after reading a book by John McCaine. This story is absolutely amazing:

"Benavidez suffered a broken jaw and 37 bullet and bayonet puncture wounds in the fight. He was so mauled that his commanding officer thought he wouldn't live long enough to receive a Medal of Honor. He nominated Benavidez for the Distinguished Service Cross instead, because the No. 2 award would take less time and paperwork to obtain."
    Which brought about my thought of: how do you know you're a badass? When you're an army sergant and the navy names a ship after you AND they make a G.I. Action figure in your likeness.

Posthumous honors

Since his death in 1998, the Roy P. Benavidez Elementary School in Houston, Texas was named in his honor.

The U.S. Navy ship USNS Benavidez (T-AKR 306) was named in his honor.[1]

Additionally, a G.I. Joe action figure was created in his likeness.
    Amazing.
    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Quite a constitution in that boy
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Mordrid View Post
      Quite a constitution in that boy
      or he rolled 20s for all his saving throws
      /meow
      Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
      Asus Striker ][
      8GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800 (4x2GB)
      Asus EN8800GT 512MB x2(SLI)

I am C4tX0r, hear me mew!

Comment

Originally posted by lowlifecat View Post
        or he rolled 20s for all his saving throws

“Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
        –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

lol @ llc and jam

props to roy!
          Titanium is the new bling!
          (you heard from me first!)

Comment

you would be amazed at what humans are capable of...

hardest part about it is overcoming the problems in the wetware that inhibit people from doing it...

if you want a good read, check out some of the other Special Operations MoH recipients (Link).

Perhaps the two that strike me most personally are the stories of MSG Gary Gordon and SFC Randall Shugart (Link). Both not only have boats named after them, but each has their own class of boats named after them.

USNS Benavidez, USNS Gordon and USNS Shugart are all part of the fleet of LMSR's (Link)that is primarily used to move equipment. All but two of the boats are named after Medal of Honor recipients. Good reading in there.
            Last edited by DGhost; 2 December 2006, 10:51.
            "And yet, after spending 20+ years trying to evolve the user interface into something better, what's the most powerful improvement Apple was able to make? They finally put a god damned shell back in." -jwz

Comment

Working...
            X