X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tesla test drive....

This pic was labeled "Assault With Battery"

>
    But I can tell you, even from my brief spin in this dog-eared prototype, the Tesla Roadster delivers on its promise, which might be summarized as "stupid fun for smart people." I think the Latin translation of same should appear on the company crest.
    >
    Once the transmission is warmed up a bit (by the way, Tesla will use a dual-clutch gearbox instead of the Xtrac-supplied unit, which has proved balky), I nail the throttle. It's not the violent, near-breakaway acceleration of a Porsche 911 or Ferrari F430. It is, instead, an instant, fluid, irresistible surge that doesn't hesitate for mechanical housekeeping like gear changes. The oft-quoted number of 0-60 in 4 seconds is impressive but unfairly limited, since the real heart-flutters begin after that. The motor torque (about 205 pound-feet) stays constant until about 6,000 rpm then gradually falls off until about 13,500 rpm, which is dentist-drill territory.

I only dared a few short bursts up to 85 mph before having to choke off the electrons, but clearly, this car will sling itself up to three-digit territory like a ride at Six Flags Over Hell.
    >
    I want one
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

And imagine where we will be in only a few more years!!

Very impressive - I want one too!
    Q9450 + TRUE, G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2, GTX 560, ASUS X48, 1TB WD Black, Windows 7 64-bit, LG M2762D-PM 27" + 17" LG 1752TX, Corsair HX620, Antec P182, Logitech G5 (Blue)
    Laptop: MSI Wind - Black

Comment

What's it need a transmission for? What's the range? What's the range at the speeds they quote this thing attains?

But "assault with battery" is nice BTW: Why is battery park called battery park? The name doesn't sound too inviting to my ears...
      There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Tranny is to give 2 speed ranges, though in 90% of situations either will do. In most tests they've been running it in 2nd gear. Range: 200 miles.

~ 2010 the roadster is slated to get even more power

Tesla says a sedan is on the way. It's supposed to be comparable in size/performace to a BMW 5 series. 2 range options: one with a 200 mile range and one with a 300 mile range;

IMO if Tesla can squeeze 300 miles and BMW 5 size/performance there is no longer a reason for other automakers not building all-electrics as commuter/family cars. Talk about a way for struggling auto makers to gain market share!!

Battery Park is a public park on the S. tip of Manhattan & so named because at one time an artillery battery was stationed there to protect the harbor. IIRC it was first built by the Dutch then later manned by the Brits & Americans. There is still a US Coast Guard facility nearby.
        Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 29 November 2006, 07:59.
        Dr. Mordrid
        ----------------------------
        An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Hybrid in such performance range would be quite nice...generally "normal" combustion engine coupled with powerful electric one that kicks in not only for lower fuel consumption...

Comment

Tomorrow is here today

Standard Honda Civic:
            1799cc
            Horsepower @ rpm = 140 @ 6300
            Torque (lb.-ft. @ rpm) = 128 @ 4300

Honda Civic Hybrid:
            1339cc + 20hp electric motor
            Horsepower @ rpm = 110 @ 6000
            Torque (lb.-ft. @ rpm) = 123 @ 1000-2500

And this with the addition of a very small electric motor.
            Makes it feel like it has a much bigger engine at low speeds, like around town.
            Chuck
            秋音的爸爸

Comment

Working...
            X