Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows mobile 5: softwares?

Hello,

I just purchased an HTC TyTN. Picked it up on Friday... took it back on Saturday (malfunctioning keyboard ), and will get a new device next week (wasn't in stock).

But to the point now: do you guys know of interesting software for Windows Mobile 5?

I'm searching for something to manage multiple SMTP servers (dunno if it really needed on this OS, perhaps I can overcome it with a dummy mail account as I did on my Symbian mobile).

Also, can I change the order of the programs in "start > programs" (currently, they are listed alphabetically, with folders first)?

Finally, how can I change the name of the bluetooth device? Currently, it shows my full name, not the name I gave to the device (which by default is PocketPC)?

Any other tools/softwares that are recommended (or that I should stay away from)?

Jörg
    Last edited by VJ; 26 November 2006, 10:17.
    pixar
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

This should work. http://www.aximsite.com/boards/showthread.php?t=122247

It's the Widcomm bluetooth stack. Much better than M$
    The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

Here are some other apps you can play with.

Windows Virtual Earth Mobile is a good. Assuming they have Belgium in their collection:

If you phone has J2ME (Java Micro), then there is a slew of Google apps you can use. There is Maps, Gmail (a Java version, not HTML), search and news:

Browse a list of Google products designed to help you work and play, stay organized, get answers, keep in touch, grow your business, and more.

I'll answer a few more questions when I have my WM5 device handy.
      “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
      –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Paddy:
        Chances are I'm getting a bluetooth headset with LCD display; using the JetWare Mobile extension, one can see the caller name on the lcd display. But this only works with the MS bluetooth stack.

Jammrock:
        Some applications I use are java:
        - WayFinder earth Beta (road maps)
        - Opera Mini
        I also have found a hp48 emulator, so that would be nice to have too.

Other software I'm interested is:
        Metro (exists for wm5), IRC/ICQ/Jabber client (I have jmirc, and there is an ICQ one too), RSS client, converter (units, currency, ...), stopwatch, clock extension (sunrise/sunset, ...), metar fetcher (found one, but not sure if it is wm5 compatible).

Oh, is it possible to change the order of the programs listed in Start > Programs ?
        And how can one change device's bluetooth name?

Jörg
        pixar

Comment

hmm.. I have found the MS bluetooth stack quite buggy and it doen't support many profiles, however if you need it ... :shrug;
          The BT device name is set in the Widcomm properties. For the MS stack I thought it just used the device name - sorry, not much help.

I use Wisbar and calender+ which allow you to customise the desktop and startmenu reasonably well. Does your device have a VGA screen?
          The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

Apparently, the widcomm bluetooth stack hasn't been ported to my device (the Axim one isn't compatible). but they are working on it.

The bluetooth device name is apparently a bug: it takes the owner name instead of the device name. (but it can be changed in the registry )

The device is 240x320.

Thanks for the software suggestions!

Jörg
            pixar

Comment

tomtom6 is nice

Comment

I found some interesting free stuff, from profile software (to set both ring behaviour and connections), over a speed/camera warning (using a gps) to a map24 client. Even found registry hacks to add some functionality!

It would be nice if I were to find a way of adding support for using different input languages (I may have found a commercial product for this).

Haven't tested any of it, but I'll get my new device on Friday.

Jörg
                pixar

Comment

Working...
                X