Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Synthetic photosynthesis progress

Worth a full read....

Coal, oil or natural gas: all fossil fuels contain the energy of sunlight, stored with the aid of photosynthesis in energy-rich chemical compounds. A researcher at the Max Planck Institute for Bioinorganic Chemistry in Mülheim on the Ruhr working with colleagues from the Technical University in Berlin, the Free University in Berlin and the Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory has shed light on an important detail in this process.

Artificial photosynthesis could provide the energy source of the future - hydrogen. To accomplish this, however, researchers must fully understand how plants and photosynthetic microorganisms split water with the energy of sunlight - only then would they be able to copy the process one day. Together with his colleagues, Dr. Johannes Messinger has now determined the precise structure of the part of the cluster containing manganese in which water is split into its component parts. Up to now it has been technically impossible to efficiently recreate this crucial step.
    >
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

It irks me whenever people think of hydrogen as an energy source. It's like saying batteries are an energy source. Hydrogen is a medium for storing energy, IMO.

And I've dreamt since being a child of photosynthesis as an energy source (yeah, technically, it's be the sun or even the big bang, but everything goes back to that.)
    There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Early steps... but all good.

@ az: yep, but then techincally so are hydrocarbons just a store... just takes a little longer to charge that particular battery up
      DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

Comment

Working...
      X