Windows Vista RTM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows Vista RTM

Seems to have been quietly released on MSDN.

Get it while it's hot!
    P.S. You've been Spanked!

It was released last Friday .

I test-drived it a couple of times this week just lacking time to use Vista a bit more. The RTM build is much better then RC1 at least it feels a lot faster, I never installed RC2 so I can’t compare RC2 with the RTM build.

There are still some bugs left and inconsistencies in the UI. I managed to crash the installer . Autostart always says that my usb-stick is unformatted although it works fine if I explore it with explorer, etc. So I still got a feeling they rushed Vista.

So far I haven’t formed a final opinion yet; I need to spend more time with it first.
    Main: Dual Xeon LV2.4Ghz@3.1Ghz | 3X21" | NVidia 6800 | 2Gb DDR | SCSI
    Second: Dual PIII 1GHz | 21" Monitor | G200MMS + Quadro 2 Pro | 512MB ECC SDRAM | SCSI
    Third: Apple G4 450Mhz | 21" Monitor | Radeon 8500 | 1,5Gb SDRAM | SCSI

Comment

I've been running it since last friday full time. Overall, it's pretty stable. Like KF said, there are some small issues (I had the same problem with my SD card reader). I'm glad I built the dual core system for this, it really chews up CPU and RAM resources. I may throw it on my HTPC box in a few weeks. Single core, but still 2GB RAM, so hopefully it'll manage ok.
      Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

My HTPC is running RC2 with only 768Mb RAM and is pretty happy. Most of my problems seemed to be related to some motherboard settings fighting with the GFX card.

I am seriously considering actually buying Vista for the HTPC box when it's out.

RTM is only for full MSDN peeps, right?

Uberlad
        -------------------------
        8 out of 10 women say they would feel no qualms about hitting a man.
        5 out of 10 referred to me by name.

Comment

It's available for MSDN Universal and TechNet Plus subscribers right now. It'll be available to large enterprises in the Volume License program at the end of this month.
          Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

Originally posted by agallag
            It's available for MSDN Universal and TechNet Plus subscribers right now. It'll be available to large enterprises in the Volume License program at the end of this month.
            Speaking of which, I found out from my company's licensing guru that MS now has a volume license server. Basically you build, or MS sells you didn't ask which, a server that validates your license internally. That way anyone using your key outside the corp is flagged as a pirate.

Interesting...

Jammrock
            “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
            –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

It's available for almost all msdn volume license programs (I have to double check which license we have at work).

I test-drived Vista the last 2 hours. It's nice it has it's good and bad sides. does it give an added value compared to XP, nope at least not for me. I'll wait until SP1 is released and when I'm forced to upgrade because some game needs DX10.

positive points:
              - little previews in the taskbar (altough the preview isn't always up to date)
              - Resource monitor
              - finally a decent copy file dialog a nice progressbar with usefull information
              - almost the same speed as XP but I got a feeling Vista caches a lot

negative:
              - still no decent user switching (no seperate screen resolutions, etc)
              - User Account Control is bloody annoying, after a while you just ignore the messages and you click continue.
              - I had some windows defender crashes

nitpicks/annoyances
              - IE7/Windos Explorer you need to press the ALT-key before you can access the menu bar
              - Why do they have to append Windows to all the application names (Windows Calendar, Windows Contacts, etc)
              - Vista consumes a lot of memory compared to XP
              - UI inconsistencies
              Main: Dual Xeon LV2.4Ghz@3.1Ghz | 3X21" | NVidia 6800 | 2Gb DDR | SCSI
              Second: Dual PIII 1GHz | 21" Monitor | G200MMS + Quadro 2 Pro | 512MB ECC SDRAM | SCSI
              Third: Apple G4 450Mhz | 21" Monitor | Radeon 8500 | 1,5Gb SDRAM | SCSI

Comment

Originally posted by Jammrock
                Speaking of which, I found out from my company's licensing guru that MS now has a volume license server. Basically you build, or MS sells you didn't ask which, a server that validates your license internally. That way anyone using your key outside the corp is flagged as a pirate.

Interesting...

Jammrock
                It's called "Volume Activation 2.0", and it's going to absolutely suck. Particularly once it's required for Longhorn Server.

Comment

Working...
                X