"At The Mountains of Madness"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "At The Mountains of Madness"

Looks like Hellboy's Guillermo del Toro is pushing to do the H. P. Lovecraft novella;

From a while ago;

At Fangoria's Weekend of Horrors, Guillermo del Toro gave even more of a peek into his upcoming post-HELLBOY Lovecraft adaptation, AT THE MOUNTAINS OF MADNESS, as well as an update about where the script is currently. "We're writing right now, my partner Matthew Robbins and I, on the weekends," says del Toro. "I work on HELLBOY (2) Monday through Friday, then he comes from San Francisco. We lock ourselves up on the weekends, work on the story. He's going to do the screenplay while I'm gone."

"There's a huge aspect of Lovecraft that has never been captured on film. Never," del Toro explains. "What we're doing, is we're trying to preserve—if you read the book, the book is 90 percent atmosphere. It's not a book about a concrete act and there's not an arc, there's not an escalation. There's no structure really, so what we're doing is we're trying to capture the Lovecraft sensibility and feeling, but putting in the coolest ****ing monsters ever committed to film."
    Also;
    Finally, for hardcore Lovecraft fans that may think a filmic adaptation of MOUNTAINS OF MADNESS could never cross over without big changes, del Toro made a point of saying how closely he wants to follow the book. "I can tell you it's not your regular horror movie from Hollywood," del Toro says. "With MOUNTAINS OF MADNESS we're doing the best to give you the sense of the Lovecraft mythology and if it doesn't work, if the studios don't see it, we will not do it. We will not do an alternate. I will not change that. We're doing it 'period' because I think the worst thing you can do to Lovecraft is set it in the present day. The whole thing takes place exactly in the time of the expedition with the people in the expedition and we're doing it faithful to the book."
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 24 November 2006, 01:44.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps
Working...
X