• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TEEN GOES NUCLEAR: He creates fusion in his Oakland Township home

BY GINA DAMRON
    FREE PRESS STAFF WRITER
    November 19, 2006

Thiago Olson, 17, stands near his nuclear fusion reactor, which he calls "the Fusor," at home in Oakland Township on Friday. After more than two years and 1,000 hours of research, the Stoney Creek High School senior, with a little help from his dad, built the machine. (PATRICIA BECK/Detroit Free Press)
    On the surface, Thiago Olson is like any typical teenager.
    He's on the cross country and track teams at Stoney Creek High School in Rochester Hills. He's a good-looking, clean-cut 17-year-old with a 3.75 grade point average, and he has his eyes fixed on the next big step: college.
    But to his friends, Thiago is known as "the mad scientist."
    In the basement of his parents' Oakland Township home, tucked away in an area most aren't privy to see, Thiago is exhausting his love of physics on a project that has taken him more than two years and 1,000 hours to research and build -- a large, intricate machine that , on a small scale, creates nuclear fusion.
    Nuclear fusion -- when atoms are combined to create energy -- is "kind of like the holy grail of physics," he said.
    In fact, on www.fusor.net, the Stoney Creek senior is ranked as the 18th amateur in the world to create nuclear fusion. So, how does he do it?
    Pointing to the steel chamber where all the magic happens, Thiago said on Friday that this piece of the puzzle serves as a vacuum. The air is sucked out and into a filter.
    Then, deuterium gas -- a form of hydrogen -- is injected into the vacuum. About 40,000 volts of electricity are charged into the chamber from a piece of equipment taken from an old mammogram machine. As the machine runs, the atoms in the chamber are attracted to the center and soon -- ta da -- nuclear fusion.
    Thiago said when that happens, a small intense ball of energy forms.
    He first achieved fusion in September and has been perfecting the machine he built in his parents' garage ever since.
    This year, Thiago was a semifinalist for the Siemens Foundation's National Research Competition. He plans to enter the Science and Engineering Fair of Metropolitan Detroit, which is in March, in hopes of qualifying to be in the Intel International Science and Engineering Fair in New Mexico in May.
    To his mom and dad, he's still reminiscent of the 5-year-old who toiled over a kid-friendly chemistry set and, then at age 9, was able to change the battery in his older brother's car.
    Now, in a small room in the basement, Thiago has set up a science lab -- where bottles marked "potassium hydroxide" and "methanol" sit on shelves and a worn, old book, titled "The Atomic Fingerprint: Neutron Activation Analysis" piled among others in the empty sink.
    Thiago's mom, Natalice Olson, initially was leery of the project, even though the only real danger from the fusion machine is the high voltage and small amount of X-rays emitted through a glass window in the vacuum chamber -- through which Olson videotapes the fusion in action..
    But, she wasn't really surprised, since he was always coming up with lofty ideas.
    "Originally, he wanted to build a hyperbaric chamber," she said, adding that she promptly said no. But, when he came asking about the nuclear fusion machine, she relented.
    "I think it was pretty brave that he could think that he was capable to do something so amazing," she said.
    Thiago's dad, Mark Olson, helped with some of the construction and electrical work. To get all of the necessary parts, Thiago scoured the Internet, buying items on eBay and using his age to persuade manufacturers to give him discounts. The design of the model came from his own ideas and some suggestions from other science-lovers he met online.
    Someday, he hopes to work for the federal government -- just like his grandfather, Clarence Olson, who designed tanks for the Department of Defense after World War II. Thiago, who is modest and humble about his accomplishment, said he knew from an early age what he would do for a living.
    "I was always interested in science," he said. "It's always been my best subject in school."
    But, his mom had other ideas.
    "I thought he was going to be a cook," Natalice Olson said, "because he liked to mix things."
    Contact GINA DAMRON at 248-351-3293 or at gdamron@freepress.com.

Enter at your own peril, past the vaulted door
    Where impossible things may happen that the world's never seen before

(sung in ridiculous opera style)

In Dexter's lab'ratory
    Lives the smartest boy you've ever seen
    But Dee Dee blows his experiments
    To smithereens
    There is gloom and doom
    While things go boom
    In Dexter's Lab!

/meow
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
    Asus Striker ][
    8GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800 (4x2GB)
    Asus EN8800GT 512MB x2(SLI)

I am C4tX0r, hear me mew!

Fusors aren't that efficient, but the do produce neutrons.

Invented by Filo T. Farnsworth, father of American TV.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Its a great story, but this made me laugh:

"Originally, he wanted to build a hyperbaric chamber," she said, adding that she promptly said no. But, when he came asking about the nuclear fusion machine, she relented.
      FT.

Comment

As a parent you should have a sense of when to quit while you're ahead

My parents didn't mind my experiments too much, until an oversize Tesla coil turned the house into Frankensteins lab
        Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 23 November 2006, 02:40.
        Dr. Mordrid

Comment

My experiments were always small and most of the time they involved rocket boosters and G.I.Joe's.
          Titanium is the new bling!
          (you heard from me first!)

Comment

My rocket experiments were a large bit beyond Estes and Jet-X
            Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Cool!!!! As a kid, my budget was limited to Estes. But I've always wanted to strap a booster that's beyond E to something. I usually just bought A-0's, cause I didn't care much for delayed ejection (it's of no use unless it's actually in a rocket with a chute) and cause they sold them in packs of four.

Never heard of Jet-X though. Maybe they are just in the states?
              Titanium is the new bling!
              (you heard from me first!)

Comment

Working...
              X