Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Annoying ErrorSafe popup on Anandtech and X-Bit Labs websites...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Annoying ErrorSafe popup on Anandtech and X-Bit Labs websites...

What the hell is it ?

Its not stopped by Firefox, and i'm not sure what the hell it is.
    It just seems strange that an advert has to have misleading 'yes' and 'no' boxes in a jpeg image... and it doesnt appear in the taskbar, so i'm not sure if its a window at all, or a flash overlay image or something.
    When i reduce Firefox, it goes with it.

'Clear private data' in the 'tools' tab in Firefox, well i'll be doing that then...

As i stated in the header, it seems to be on Anandtech and Xbit labs sites so far...

Nothing weird in the task manager, unless its an SVCHOST cos i dont know how many of them i'm supposed to have...i think its variable.

Jez
    PC-1 Fractal Design Arc Mini R2, 3800X, Asus B450M-PRO mATX, 2x8GB B-die@3800C16, AMD Vega64, Seasonic 850W Gold, Black Ice Nemesis/Laing DDC/EKWB 240 Loop (VRM>CPU>GPU), Noctua Fans.
    Nas : i3/itx/2x4GB/8x4TB BTRFS/Raid6 (7 + Hotspare) Xpenology
    +++ : FSP Nano 800VA (Pi's+switch) + 1600VA (PC-1+Nas)

Oh, i forgot to mention that the advert appears in one of the banners either at the top or the bottom of the pages.
    PC-1 Fractal Design Arc Mini R2, 3800X, Asus B450M-PRO mATX, 2x8GB B-die@3800C16, AMD Vega64, Seasonic 850W Gold, Black Ice Nemesis/Laing DDC/EKWB 240 Loop (VRM>CPU>GPU), Noctua Fans.

Comment

Just been back to both sites, and Dailytech, and it is not there...they have 'roulette' style web advert hosting i think, and that why i only have it a few times...last night and now.

Hmmmm.....full virus scan again then too...

Comment

I don't get any pop-ups when visiting those sites no matter which browser I use. You might be infected with spyware.
        Titanium is the new bling!
        (you heard from me first!)

Comment

Would Kaspersky detect that ? or am i going to have to learn how to use that new Hardware Firewall ?

edit : And i'm not even sure that can do anything...

Comment

I'm not seeing any popups using Seamonkey.

Your HW firewall wont (and shouldent) help against popups, spyware etc etc
            If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Kaspersky? Hmm, from what I can see I don't think so. But you can try Ewido, Spybot, SUPERAntiSpyware and Ad-Aware, they are all free and can pretty much clean up whatever is there (spyware, adware, malware) that isn't detected by your AV.

Comment

I've been back around a couple of times, and haven't had them come back....
                It was just last night, on Dailytech, not anandtech, but it was thru there i got to dailytech.
                Then tonight, i was looking at the xbit labs review of the Microchill cooler, and on every bloody page i had this annoying 'lookalike' popup thing, which i duly closed with the cross int the top right corner, even then i'm not sure it wasn't part oaf the whole image, and i did what was intended anyway....

Have to keep an eye on my credit card statements and on my bank balance

edit: If i get it again, i'll get some screen caps

Comment

Antivirus scan on Maximum settings revealed nothing...

Having a look at ad-aware...

Comment

Hmmmmmmm and big hmmmmmmm..

Ad-aware has found 199 files 'recognised' so far, and counting....'critical' it calls them...oh, sweet.

Comment

and now its spending forever on my MAME roms folder...just like every other scanning software...

Comment

and now i get that window that says "Windows is going to shutdown" and a counter counting down from 59 seconds...
                        luck i know the "shutdown -a" parade

looks like a full reinstall is in the works...

edit: oh wow, jumped to 310 now...lovely

Comment

hm
                          Attached Files

Comment

its finieshed, and all it found were cookie files from backups of my "my documnts" folder each time i reinstall...

So no big whoopsie or anything, feels better.

Gonna still get that firewall up and running, will be up in front of my current linux hw firewall.

Just a piccy of my 4x SATAII setup to finish. Spot the huge drive
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by Evildead666; 22 November 2006, 13:13.

Comment

I wouldn't just run ad-aware, cause spybot finds stuff ad-aware doesn't and ewdio finds stuff the other two don't, and since I always scan with superantispware after those three, well it never finds anything.

Comment

Working...
                              X