The Organ Farmer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Organ Farmer

Anthony Atala makes bladders. Not the plastic-model kind but actual living, human organs. Step into his office at Wake Forest University’s Institute for Regenerative Medicine (IRM), where the 48-year-old tissue engineer is director, and you’ll find a suite of climate-controlled chambers the size of hotel mini fridges. Inside, spheres of human bladder cells resembling deflated pink balloons divide and grow. Culled from patients with incontinence problems, these cells will assemble themselves over time, forming into brand-new replacement bladders for the cell donors.
    >
    The IRM is now collaborating with local biotech company Tengion, which is bankrolling large-scale clinical trials of Atala’s bladders and hopes to manufacture them eventually. Meanwhile, Atala is busy replicating more than 20 kinds of tissues and organs, including hearts and livers. But because the vast snarls of blood vessels inside these organs are exceedingly difficult to grow in the lab, he thinks it might be decades before his work yields commercially viable treatments. “Rushing may be OK when you’re trying to get a widget or a videogame on the market,” he says, “but not when you’re dealing with patients’ lives.”
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

I wonder if in the future when grown transplant organs are commodities will people do more crappy stuff (smoke, bad food, etc) to their bodies?
    Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra 9, Opteron 170 Denmark 2x2Ghz, 2 GB Corsair XMS, Gigabyte 6600, Gentoo Linux
    Motion Computing M1400 -- Tablet PC, Ubuntu Linux

"if I said you had a beautiful body would you take your pants off and dance around a bit?" --Zapp Brannigan

Comment

If (or rather, when) it becomes possible to cure or prevent cancer or liver disease with nothing more than a series of shots, you can bet the primary deterrent to such health-compromising activities as smoking and boozing will disappear.

Kids will once again be able to "look cool" with a butt dangling from their lip and a bottle in their hand, confident that medical science will restore their health and vigor after they've messed themselves up (assuming they have the cash, of course).

Kevin

Comment

If such a tech is not only perfected but automated in terms of production such injectable repairs may cost no more than a series of flu shots.
        Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Well, I doubt brain damage from alcohol will be fixable soon. And Cigarettes stink (says a smoker. BTW, I'll quit at new year's. Again )
          There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Originally posted by az
            And Cigarettes stink (says a smoker. BTW, I'll quit at new year's. Again )
            P.S. You've been Spanked!

Comment

Never started
              Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Mordrid
                Never started
                P.S. You've been Spanked!

Comment

Working...
                X