how the hell do you set up..........?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how the hell do you set up..........?

hi, im trying to set up a way for my #2 system to conect to the net through my #1 system ie i have more than one computer in a local network useing lan cards and hubs but i dont want to use modems on the second or other systems in the net work as the conections will only be for os updateing. dose anyone know how to set up the browsers on those other system to use the dial up conection on my main system? or do i have to use a proxy server software package one of the reasons i want to figure this out is with in the next year cable should be in my area.

------------------
    waiting for g400 to show up can be painfull. i don't have a warped mind do i?

noel

By far the easiest way is to put Win98SE on your system with the modem. I just did this to my PC at home, and then that system acts as a DHCP server and firewall (does NAT). Works a treat - ICQ, cserve, net access, email, everything works a treat.
    If you're in the UK, the upgrade to SE is free - check out microsoft's site. All you need to do is send/fax them a proof of purchase. If you don't want to re-install or upgrade windows, you'll need some software like wingate to act as a proxy server.

------------------
    Cheers,
    Steve
    It's Only A Graphics Card!
    (But a damn good 'un!)

Comment

thanks, just finished setting up winproxy 2.1h cool program was easy to set up and didn't cost me a cent. took less than 10min too set up and get running. thanks.

Comment

Winroute 3.04 is also a good choice.. with very good HTTP/Mail proxy server built-in..

And it can re-dial when your modem loses connection...

Moreover, you have to set virtual-ip in your LAN system... And set the default gw & DNS server to your NAT server in other machines...

Ex: 192.168.xx.xx
        10.1.xx.xx

In my experience, at least telnet/ftp/ICQ/WWW work...

If you don't like Winroute, Sygate is also a good solution... But it doesn't have proxy server...
        P4-2.8C, IC7-G, G550

Comment

Winroute is a great program, but if the #1 system which is supposed to act as a router run NT, you need no additional software. (*could* work on 98 too, I haven't tried)

What you have to do is to set up a LAN with arbitrary numbering. You are not supposed to change any settings of the #1 systems dial-up adapter, but for it's NIC (network adapter) you have to change the settings to match the LAN. You better set up the LAN first and me sure it works before going further.

Then, for every computer on the LAN, BUT the router (#1), you have to set the #1's LAN IP-address to be the default gateway. After that, just check the "Enable IP routing" box in the #1's NIC properties in NT.

I hope that helps. If that works, you should use no Winroute etc. 'cause they'll slow down the connection.

B

------------------
          Excel 7.0, Winamp 2.23, Adobe Acrobat 4.0, QuickTime 4

Comment

well this is going to sound hickish but here goes , my daddy was in maintance see and he had this saying if it ain't broke don't fix it. winroute sounds like a detailed program. but as i have winproxy working (with out paying for it) and it works for what i need. im going to leave well enough alone. what i can't seem to figure out is why my conection seems to be working faster useing the proxy?

thanks for your tips/help.

------------------
            Waiting for g400 to show up, while i go slowly insane. I don't have a warped mind do i?

noel

Comment

I think Winroute under NT4 won't casue much performance hit... in my experience, You can see it load in booting kernel sequence and it replaces the driver of NT's TCP layer... So it is a service of direct replacement...

But CPU speed is really an important factor. I mean winroute proxy server's performance relies on it. For example, Celeron 300A@450 performs much better than K6-2/300 under Win98. Especially there are a lot of tasks.

Currently I run NAT on the machine which has Dual Celerons 300P@504 and 96 MB RAM. The OS is RedHat 6.0 Linux, and kernel is 2.2.10. With 2 seti@home program (run at nice +19), the Proxy Server's (Squid) performance is still good... Generally, the Windows' network performance is not as good as Unix-based OS's.

P4-2.8C, IC7-G, G550

Comment

WayneHu,

Have you followed the conversation of Win vs. Linux network performance at slashdot.org? According to that, Linux's TCP/IP implementation is no competition for WinNT's.
                And it's threading basically is not there, so while NT boosts up TCP/IP speed with 2+ CPU's you won't see that kind of an increase with Linux at all.

B

------------------

Comment

Ya... But it seems that the test machine has 1GB RAM, 4 network adapters, and disk array... Who personally will have this kind of monster?

I admit that Linux's kernel dones't perform well with SMP, even in interrupt schedule. However, can you say that Linux's performance is really worse than NT in most conditions? I don't think so...

Besides, I only have a cheap Dual Celeron machine EPOX KP6-BS, 96 MB RAM, one DHEA-34331, two very cheap stock EEPro 100 (i82557) ...

Since I have another machine to do office jobs and play games, I think a Windows/NT server is useless to me. Moreover, I need a UNIX-based OS to write and test network socket programs.

It depends on what you want to do. But the most important is that Linux is free, NT is not...

P4-2.8C, IC7-G, G550

Comment

Working...
                  X