Marijuana & <memory function

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marijuana & <memory function

Scientists may have just found out why marijuana impairs memory and why the brain's natural versions of the drug might help against epilepsy.

Why Marijuana Impairs Memory

Health SciTech
    By Charles Q. Choi
    Special to LiveScience
    posted: 19 November 2006
    01:00 pm ET

Scientists may have just found out why marijuana impairs memory and why the brain's natural versions of the drug might help against epilepsy.

The active ingredient of marijuana, THC, is known to impair memory and to bind to areas of the brain linked to memory, such as the hippocampus. Still, the exact mechanisms by which marijuana impairs memory remain unclear.

Neuroscientists David Robbe and Gyorgy Buzsaki at Rutgers University and their colleagues recorded hippocampus activity in rats. Normally brain cells in this region often synchronize their electrical activity.

When the researchers injected rats with THC or a related synthetic drug, they found the normally synchronized workings of the hippocampus became disrupted. While the cells did not change how often they fired nerve impulses, their timing became erratic.

Imagine an orchestra where the musicians are deafened and perhaps blindfolded, Buzsaki said.

"They could still play their own pieces, but without any feedback from the other instruments played by other musicians or the conductor, depending on the nature and the length of the music played, it could be just a bit worse or outright disastrous, even though every note has been played. What is missing is the temporal coordination," Buzsaki explained. This is similar to what the researchers think goes on "in the hippocampal circuits under the influence of marijuana."
    >
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

I don't need pot to forget things
    Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

I'd like a form of marijuana developed that would allow for selective amnesia
      “And, remember: there's no 'I' in 'irony'” ~ Merlin Mann

Comment

Getting married did it for me. Just ask Margie
        Dr. Mordrid
        ----------------------------
        An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Senior moments happen to me and I'm only 26
          Mostly when trying to remember dance moves!

Comment

What were we talking about?

Comment

Originally posted by Jon P. Inghram
              What were we talking about?

Dunno.
              I lost track after two posts.
              Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own lunar space lander! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the space lander, and the blackjack. Ahhhh forget the whole thing!

Comment

Take majiuana and there may not be much cheese in your fridge.

Comment

Hell, there may not be much of ANYTHING in your fridge... that includes those pickled onions that have been sitting at the back for years, and that Costco sized jug of mustard.
                  Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

Originally posted by Jessterw
                    I'd like a form of marijuana developed that would allow for selective amnesia
                    I'd like a form of marijuana developed that improves memory

Comment

Working...
                    X