iRiver S10

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• iRiver S10

November 20, 2006 iRiver released an interesting new personal media device onto its home Japanese market last Friday (November 17) which is one of the first of an entirely new breed of wearable device that combines the elegance of jewelery with some compelling functionality. Firstly the S10 is…

November 20, 2006

iRiver released an interesting new personal media device onto its home Japanese market last Friday (November 17) which is one of the first of an entirely new breed of wearable that combines the elegance of jewelery with some compelling functionality. Firstly the S10 is little larger than a postage stamp and with dimensions of 42 x 30 x 10.8 mm, small and light enough (17.5 grams) so it won’t get in the way. It also has a small 96 x 128 pixel, 65,000 color 1.15 inch OLED screen which can play MPEG-4 video or run a slide show and its Lithium polymer battery offers eight hours of continuous playback so the lights don’t go before the party’s over.

The voice recording function adds another dimension to the S10 in that it’s capable of recording 16 hours of audio with its high sensitivity built-in microphone and is being pitched to Japanese students as a way of recording lectures and as an aid in the study of foreign languages. We have written before about concepts for recording our lives such as Sensecam and the S10 is certainly a step in this direction, capable of recording the audio of an entire day’s activities.The S10 comes in 1GB (JPY16,980 - US$145) and 2GB (JPY19,980 - US$170)

The new S10 media player has an elegant interchangeable neckstrap and comes with five different coloured straps – the earphones are integrated into the neck strap, and a clever pivot that enables you to easily see the menu while you’re wearing it. The S10 has an interesting universal jack which connects via USB 2.0 for recharging, loading music and for the headphones.

The S10 comes in 1 GB and 2 GB capacities and supports for MP3, WMA, and OGG files.

The S10 comes with ten equalizer settings - Normal, Classic, Live, Pop, Rock, Jazz, U Bass, Metal, Dance and Party and is compatible with SRSLabs WOW2.0 3D sound technology.

The S10 also functions as a clock and an alarm clock with the user’s choice of sound/music to match the alarm and it’s also possible to set up the S10 to record FM broadcasts at a pre-appointed time – as with a video recorder.

The S10 comes with iRiver’s new Plus3 content management software which controls the entire library of video, images and audio and offers Gracenote Music ID functionality. > Audio Frequency range 20Hz - 20Kz > Headphone output 15mW + 15mW (16 Ω) > Signal-noise ratio 90dB (MP3) > Equalizer: Normal, Classic, Live, Pop, Rock, Jazz, Ubass, Metal, Dance, Party, Custom EQ/SRS 2.0 > FM radio Signal-noise ratio 60dB > FM frequency range 76.0MHz - 108MHz
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 19 November 2006, 18:30.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

wow. cool little device.
    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

I've always found that iriver products are way above ipods. I still own my iriver iHP-120(Now called H120). I bought it for $340 several years ago and I can sell it used on ebay for ~$200 because it has such great recording capabilities such as recording directly to wav or mp3, mic gain, etc...

It also supports OGG. It has a ton of features. Too many to list here but every firmware update they released had tons of new features. Very impressive. I'm actually getting ready to sell it, sadly I got a 30GB Ipod for free and my Alpine nav system allows me to plug and play which is very nice and handy. So convenience rules over quality in this case.
      Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

Is this an update of the U10? Looks like the interface will be the same, with the display acting as a four-way rocker switch.

I want a U10 with 10GB+ storage space.
        There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

The model needs more cleavage
          Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Comment

Originally posted by GT98
            The model needs more cleavage
            Oh to be a pair of ear buds . . . . . . . .

Comment

Working...
            X