Russians up to their old tricks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Russians up to their old tricks?

With dark, sunken eyes, prematurely bald head and a yellowing skin, this is the stark image that shows poisoned former KGB agent Alexander Litvinenko clinging to life in a British hospital

Defector 'poisoned by KGB' has 50/50 survival chance

19th November 2006

Scotland Yard is investigating the attempted murder of a top Russian defector poisoned by political enemies in London.

Alexander Litvinenko, an ex-KGB colonel who fled the current Russian regime to claim asylum in Britain, is under armed police guard in hospital.

The former Russian security agent allegedly poisoned in London looks "like a ghost" in hospital, a friend said today.

Alexander Litvinenko has only a 50 per cent chance of surviving the next four weeks, said Alex Goldfarb, who brought him to Britain six years ago and has been visiting him in hospital.

Sources have confirmed that the Russian was taken suddenly and dangerously ill on November 1 while investigating the recent murder of dissident Russian journalist Anna Politkovskaya. Mr Litvinenko was poisoned following a clandestine meeting with an associate at a sushi bar in London's Piccadilly.

The ex-KGB man was given documents which claimed to name Ms Politkovskaya's killers. According to the papers, she was murdered by four members of President Vladimir Putin's federal security service, known as the FSB. A source close to Mr Litvinenko claimed he had been the victim of a revenge attack by the increasingly hard-line Russian regime.

The source added: "He is convinced that he has been poisoned at the instigation of President Putin."
    >
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Looks like it's been going on for sometime. Just doesn't get reported very much.
    Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

oh c'mon Doc, who wouldn't try/think about something similar...

Comment

The US obviously would never steep so low as to attempt an assassination, or invade a foreign country, or enact pressure on other countries, or to illegally spy on people's data, or to illegally hold people in custody without any rights, or use torture, or fund terrorists to further its national agende. Never!
        There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Originally posted by az
          The US obviously would never steep so low as to attempt an assassination, or invade a foreign country, or enact pressure on other countries, or to illegally spy on people's data, or to illegally hold people in custody without any rights, or use torture, or fund terrorists to further its national agende. Never!
          And why does this have ANYTHING to do with the parent post? I think Doc did a good job here, posting the article without comment, and this is what you think the proper response is?
          Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

It's a response to his subject line, and to Nowhere's comment on that.

Comment

Originally posted by az
              It's a response to his subject line, and to Nowhere's comment on that.
              In this case, you might want to look at the news about Ms Politkovskaya...
              "For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism."

Comment

I don't see what that would change. I just object to Mordrid's implication that this sort of behaviour is somehow exclusive to "the Russians" and wanted to point out that the USA don't exactly have a clean slate themselves in this regard. I am sure you could find this to be the case for just about any country in the world (sadly), if only such information were public.

Comment

Working...
                X