I @£$#¤%& hate Checkdisk!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I @£$#¤%& hate Checkdisk!!

So I finaly swapped out the old hw for the new hw, everything when fine (well as fine as it usualy does when one down not reinstall).

So when everything has stabilised I reconect all the other drives, the first thing I see is that checkdisk wants to check one of my drives, since it was late I screwed up and let it....

BAD MISTAKE!!!

Checkdisk should have been called "File erazer"

It was determined to gobble up everything on that drive, I hit the reset button

Now I'm transfering what is remaining to my other computer, and burning as much as I can onto DVD that are on the other drives I reconected (those that Chkdsk never got its teeths into)

on a brighter note: Gigabit rocks for filetransfer
    If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

I never run CHKDSK from Windows, or from Windows boot, anymore. I always use the UBCD4Win, BartPE or WinPE and use the:

CHKDSK C: /X /R

/R is the standard find and repair bad blocks, /X dismounts the HDD which not only enables CHKDSK to check the entire drive, but it significantly decreases the chances of data loss/failure. I have never lost a single drive or file doing it this way.

And yes, Gb rocks for file transfers Can't wait for Cat7 and 10 Gb to hit

Jammrock
    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

I made the same mistake some time ago. MS sucks.

Comment

well, weird things are happening.....

I bit the bullet and ran chkdsk again on the drive now that I had "rescued" what I could, just so it would not want to chesk it in every reboot...

And the damn thing now restored every file it gobled

WTF is it with chkdsk?!?
        If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Shuld have known...... most of it is thoroughly corrupt

Comment

okay, both samsung 250gb disks shows up as 128gb disks.....

I dont know why, I lost to damn much data, I'm going to uppdate the intel drivers and see if that helps...

or perhaps find an Intel rep and and become creative.....

Comment

anybody know a way to load the AHCI drivers so they are "activated" in windows?

If I switch to AHCI in bios It bluescreens....

I have no damn clue why the samsungs both show up as 127gb in logical, the infudate just sets the name right it still uses the same driver as the standard dual ide interface...

Comment

okay, forced it, now windows see the "whole" drive's on every level, I've set the data recover program and I'm now going to bed.....

Tommorow I'll try find out if its normal for ich8 when in "IDE" mode or MS, or INTEL or ASUS, or if its just me....

Comment

Originally posted by Technoid
                  okay, both samsung 250gb disks shows up as 128gb disks.....
                  This happened to my 200 GB Samsung when a faulty nForce driver beefed the drive. There is a Samsung tool you can download and burn to make a bootable CD that will fix all sorts of drive errors like this:

Welcome to Samsung IN. Discover a wide range of home electronics with cutting-edge technology including TVs, smartphones, tablets, home appliances & more!

Welcome to Samsung IN. Discover a wide range of home electronics with cutting-edge technology including TVs, smartphones, tablets, home appliances & more!

Jammrock
                  “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                  –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Isn't the 128gb thing almost certainly that it is being accessed by 32 bit LBA instead of the 48 bit that is required by large drives?

Might this happen for instance if a large drive that was partitioned by XP SP2 was scanned by a preSP2 copy of chkdsk?
                    Chuck
                    秋音的爸爸

Comment

Originally posted by Technoid
                      anybody know a way to load the AHCI drivers so they are "activated" in windows?

If I switch to AHCI in bios It bluescreens....

I have no damn clue why the samsungs both show up as 127gb in logical, the infudate just sets the name right it still uses the same driver as the standard dual ide interface...
                      Set the ide driver to standard and then change the settings in the Bios. Get your driver disk ready when XP detects the new controller.
                      Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
                      Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Originally posted by cjolley
                        Isn't the 128gb thing almost certainly that it is being accessed by 32 bit LBA instead of the 48 bit that is required by large drives?

Might this happen for instance if a large drive that was partitioned by XP SP2 was scanned by a preSP2 copy of chkdsk?
                        Running Windows 2000 SP4, installed from a slipstreamed cd (those drives where originally partitioned with it)

same standard drivers had no problem "seeing" the whole drive when it was on a nvidia sata controller.

Comment

Originally posted by The PIT
                          Set the ide driver to standard and then change the settings in the Bios. Get your driver disk ready when XP detects the new controller.
                          that was what I tried first, didnt work, bluescreened...

then I instead of changing to standard I forced the Ahci drivers onto the controller, reboted switched in bios and it worked.

Comment

Last post for this thread:

Ms standard drivers on nforce3 seems to have no problem of seeing past 137gb (same os, sp, etc)

Question is if it is bound to sata or if the nv uninstall somehow resurected "old" files....

Comment

Working...
                            X