Terror arrest in Detroit airport?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Terror arrest in Detroit airport?

Berlin (AFP) – The German FA’s (DFB) inquiry into the 2006 World Cup scandal is set to cost around 3.5 million euros ($3.83m), interim

(AP) - A man was arrested at Detroit Metropolitan Airport after officials say they found him carrying more than $78,000 in cash and a laptop computer containing information about nuclear materials and cyanide.

Sisayehiticha Dinssa, an unemployed U.S. citizen, was arrested Tuesday after a dog caught the scent of narcotics on cash he was carrying, according to an affidavit filed in court.

When agents asked him if he had any cash to declare, he said he had $18,000, authorities said. But when agents checked his luggage, they found an additional $59,000. When they scrolled through his laptop, they said they found the mysterious files.

At a court hearing Wednesday, Dinssa was ordered held in custody until at least until Monday at the request of prosecutors.

Assistant U.S. Attorney Leonid Feller argued Dinssa was a potential risk to the community and federal agents want to get a warrant to search his computer more thoroughly, The Detroit News reported Thursday. U.S. Magistrate Donald Scheer approved Feller's request to detain him.

Dinssa, who is from Dallas, arrived in Detroit from Nigeria by way of Amsterdam and was headed for Phoenix, Feller said. He is charged with concealing more than $10,000 in his luggage, which carries a maximum penalty of five years in prison, the Detroit Free Press reported.

A message seeking comment was left Thursday with his lawyer, Leroy Soles.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Uh? You are not allowed to carry cash on an aircraft? What kind of Mickey Mouse affair is that?
    Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

He lied about how much, delcaring only $18k of the $78k he had in his posession. Do that with >$10k and that's a federal felony.
      Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Yup, there's quite a few countries where you're not allowed to carry (in or out) more than US$10K in "monetary instruments" (cash, bonds, etc.) without declaring it.
        Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Ellis
          Uh? You are not allowed to carry cash on an aircraft? What kind of Mickey Mouse affair is that?
          Great job of ignoring the words in the article that you didn't want to read.

You are not allowed to smuggle large amounts of undeclared, drug-laced money into the country when traveling through customs.
          Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

I was just in that airport on Sunday. The big TVs are nice.

With $78k you could get quite a bit of cyanide I would guess, but not a lot of nuclear stuff.
            “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
            –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

You could build a lot of bomb jackets for that, and this area has a huge ME population.

Just recently the owner of a ME restaurant chain was raided in an investigation over his possible laundering money for HAMAS.

Wonderful...
              Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Working...
              X