Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Game platform prices

Think of this when comparing platform prices;

The initial price of the Atari 2600 in 1977 was $199.95 USD. Adjusted for inflation it would cost $665.51 in 2006 dollars.

Most Atari 2600 games ran between $20 and $30. If you take the average of $25 and adjust that for inflation to 2006 dollars you get $83.21 per game.

US Federal Reserve inflation calculator:

http://www.minneapolisfed.org/Research/data/us/calc/
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Yes, but the Atari didn't have competition.
    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

my allowance then was 50 cents.... 8P
      Better to let one think you are a fool, than speak and prove it

Comment

Yeah but computers also cost a boat load back in the 80s and early 90s.
        The price of electronics normally drops dramatically over time due to advances in technology, particularly when microchips and memory are involved. It cost a ton to make a microprocessor and the memory for that game system back then. Now its fairly cheap.
        For example, we had a 386 computer around 1990 (I think) that cost $3K. That would be 4.6K in today's dollars with that inflaction calculator. Nobody spends that much for a computer... even a super high end PC system is half that.

My conclusion: PS3 is still insanely overpriced

Comment

Originally posted by rylan
          For example, we had a 386 computer around 1990 (I think) that cost $3K. That would be 4.6K in today's dollars with that inflaction calculator.

Did yours fell off the truck????

EDIT: Monitor & mouse not included!
          Attached Files
          Diplomacy, it's a way of saying “nice doggie”, until you find a rock!

Comment

Well it could've been a year or two after that ad... I forget. Yeah no monitor. Maybe the price I remember was a bit low
            But that just would make my argument about game systems like the PS3 being overpriced even better! haha

Comment

But that just would make my argument about game systems like the PS3 being overpriced even better
              Depends on what you mean by overpriced, if you mean Sony are making a huge profit on each one then that's probably not the case and those original PC manufacturers were probably making much bigger margins.
              When you own your own business you only have to work half a day. You can do anything you want with the other twelve hours.

Comment

I know I spent about $2500-3000 on a 286 in '89 or '90. I've never spent anywhere near that amount on a computer since.
                Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

I meant overpriced compared to how other similar technology (computers etc) have drastically dropped in price. A computer that was $2500 back then would get you a monster of a system now for the same $2500, but a game console that was $200 back then won't get you anything new now for that same $200.

Comment

We spent around 10K$ for a 386dx25 with (OMG!!!) 4mb RAM and a 20' monitor around that time frame.

that was my dad's highend autocad workstation. that thing was so fast you could hear tires squeeling whenever you turned it on.
                    /meow
                    Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
                    Asus Striker ][
                    8GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800 (4x2GB)
                    Asus EN8800GT 512MB x2(SLI)

I am C4tX0r, hear me mew!

Comment

Yeah but computers also cost a boat load back in the 80s and early 90s.
                      The price of electronics normally drops dramatically over time due to advances in technology, particularly when microchips and memory are involved. It cost a ton to make a microprocessor and the memory for that game system back then. Now its fairly cheap.
                      For example, we had a 386 computer around 1990 (I think) that cost $3K. That would be 4.6K in today's dollars with that inflaction calculator. Nobody spends that much for a computer... even a super high end PC system is half that.

My conclusion: PS3 is still insanely overpriced
                      The thing is although PC's are cheaper now, high end graphics cards seem to be getting pricier and pricier. You can spec a new 8800 GTX up to about $1000 right now. I dont remember a G400 costing anywhere near this on launch. And before everyone says 'but you can get last years card for $50' remember that you can also pick a PS2 up for peanuts these days too.
                      is a flower best picked in it's prime or greater withered away by time?
                      Talk about a dream, try to make it real.

Comment

As borat has said entry level PC's may have dropped in price dramatically but certain components have gone the other way. How much would a Blue-ray drive cost on it's own?
                        When you own your own business you only have to work half a day. You can do anything you want with the other twelve hours.

Comment

Originally posted by borat
                          The thing is although PC's are cheaper now, high end graphics cards seem to be getting pricier and pricier. You can spec a new 8800 GTX up to about $1000 right now. I dont remember a G400 costing anywhere near this on launch. And before everyone says 'but you can get last years card for $50' remember that you can also pick a PS2 up for peanuts these days too.
                          The 8800GTX is around $650 at NewEgg. That's actually significantly less than some of the early Matrox (and Number Nine) cards - like the Impression 3/V. I think that one was in the $1300 range when it came out. Here's an interesting Byte article from 1994 - only a few of the 2M cards are less than the 8800GTX is now.

- Steve

Comment

The most expensive video card I've ever bought was the g400max and that was what a $250 card? I've never been able to justify more than that. Heck, the main reason I ever became an AMD guy was because I couldn't see spending $300 on a processor as a college student.
                            Wikipedia and Google.... the needles to my tangent habit.

That special feeling we get in the cockles of our hearts, Or maybe below the cockles, Maybe in the sub-cockle area, Maybe in the liver, Maybe in the kidneys, Maybe even in the colon, We don't know.

Comment

Working...
                            X