• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• M$ Zune & Vista "NOT COMPATABLE"

AARRRGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!!

Zune and Vista 'not compatible'

By Aoife Carr, ElectricNews.net → More by this author
    Published Thursday 16th November 2006 00:08 GMT

Zune, the new digital music player from Microsoft, is not compatible with the software giant's new Vista operating system.

Buried in the Zune website, Microsoft admits that the player is not compatible with Vista and gives no information as to when it will introduce a patch or update enabling the player to do so.

Instead, users are asked to "check back soon for updates".

Microsoft is set to launch Vista for business customers later this month, although a spokesman for Microsoft told ENN, however, that a new "Zune client" or patch to make Vista compatible with the MP3 player will be released at the end of January to coincide with the consumer launch of the Vista operating system.

This is embarrassing for Microsoft given it launched the new player in the US amid much fanfare on Wednesday in an attempt to take on the might of Apple's iPod. At the same time, Microsoft is touting its much-delayed new Vista version of Windows as "the most important new Microsoft release since Windows 95", according to company founder Bill Gates.

Zune is currently only available in the US and went on sale for USD249.99 at almost 30,000 shops across the United States on Wednesday. The digital music player comes in just one 30GB model and is available in three colours: black, white and brown.

A European launch is expected some time next year

Zune is designed to be used with its co-branded online music store Marketplace, where songs can be purchased for download.

The big difference between the Zune player and the iPod is that the Zune is wireless. The player comes with a wi-fi connection which will allow users to share music with other Zune users. Tracks may be shared with up to three other Zune owners, although shared songs will delete themselves after three days. Unlike the iPod, the Zune also includes an FM radio.

Microsoft hopes these features will help it corner some of the digital music player market dominated by rival Apple.

However, in what is sure to be an unpopular move, songs bought from Microsoft's own MSN music store - which is being closed down - will not work on a Zune player.

Instead Zune users must buy and download music from the dedicated Zune music store, or rip their own CDs and copy them onto the player.
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 15 November 2006, 21:38.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Let's see... Microsoft launches the Zune, which is not only non-compatible with their failed Plays For Sure program, but also non-compatible with their upcoming whiz-bang OS? What else could possibly hint at what an ill-conceived player this is...

Oh, wait, that'd be the fact that to purchase music from the Zune store (or whatever it's called), you have to essentially purchase gift card-style allotments of points. All in the name of providing a seamless purchasing experience for XBOX owners who also become Zune owners.

But hey, you'll be able to share your music with the one other person you know that will own a Zune. For three days, at which point that music, DRM'd or not, will go *poof*.

“And, remember: there's no 'I' in 'irony'” ~ Merlin Mann

Comment

Microsoft seem to have entered a 1500m race when the other runners have already done 1000m and now it appears they've forgotten their trainers
      When you own your own business you only have to work half a day. You can do anything you want with the other twelve hours.

Comment

Oh noes! The Zune doesn't work on an un-released OS? Shocker! I'm sure they'll have it sorted out before business availability on Nov 30th, or at least before retail on Jan 31st. There are several other reasons to bash the Zune (Jessterw listed most of them), but this isn't one of them.

They're also not releasing the damn thing anywhere but the US until some unspecified time in 2007. Not even in Canada. Oh well, no big loss, I'll just continue using my mobile phone for my portable multimedia needs.
        Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

Originally posted by agallag
          Oh noes! The Zune doesn't work on an un-released OS? Shocker!

If it was someone else's unreleased OS then sure no big deal but you'd think they would manage to get two of their own products to work together, it's not like they haven't had enough notice about Vista's release
          When you own your own business you only have to work half a day. You can do anything you want with the other twelve hours.

Comment

Working...
          X