X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LCD & plasma TVs report from ConsumerReports.org

Size does matter after all.... .

LCD & plasma TVs

No electronic items will be hotter this holiday season than LCD and plasma TVs, thanks in large part to prices that are half what they were two years ago. With more and better TVs now available from an ever-growing list of brands, it’s a great time to purchase a new high-definition LCD or plasma television set.

To help you decide what and when to buy, we’ve packed this guide with need-to-know news and must-have advice, including the latest on price changes and a plain-English guide to the jargon.

Ready to buy? See our LCD and plasma TV Ratings (available to subscribers). Still thinking? Watch for our December report, which will have Ratings of more flat panels and other TV types.

Be Price-wise and Brand-savvy

Prices of flat panels have been going nowhere but down. The average price for LCD and plasma sets was 22 percent lower this June than it was a year earlier, according to Pacific Media Associates, a Menlo Park, Calif., research firm that tracks display prices. Competition from lesser-known brands, special promotions, clearance sales on older sets, and keep-up-with-the-Joneses price cuts by manufacturers are behind the lower prices.

Smaller manufacturers often use bargain prices to attract buyers, but major brands are trimming prices as well. That gives you more good choices to consider. Among the 32-inch LCD HDTVs that did very well in our tests was a Sony model priced at $1,500, competitive with some other major brands. Within that same size grouping, models from Westinghouse and Magnavox did respectably, though not as well as the Sony--but at $1,000 each, they cost considerably less.

Prices could drop even lower in coming months because of promotions tied to the football season, holiday sales, and continued discounting of older models. Some market analysts project that smaller sets could see the biggest price cuts because of oversupply. Quixel Research, a market research firm in Portland, Ore., expects a 20 percent or so drop in LCD and plasma prices by year’s end, with especially good deals on 26- to 37-inch LCD models.

CR’s take. Pinpointing the perfect time to buy a TV is a tough call. There will always be bigger, better, lower-priced sets on the horizon, but at some point you have to jump in. Look at it this way: You undoubtedly got a lower price and more value than you would have earlier. Shop around for the best deal, and keep your receipt in case you find the set selling for less within a month or so. Many retailers will match the lower price.

For Screen Size, Think Big

Plasma sets used to be the only flat-screen TVs larger than 40 inches, but LCDs now come in big sizes too. With the price gap between plasma TVs and big-screen LCD sets narrowing, more buyers are choosing LCDs. Last year, 32-inch screens were the big sellers among LCD TVs, but 37- to 46-inch sets are likely to attract more interest in coming months.

With larger LCD sets posing stiff competition, plasma makers are pushing 50-inch and larger plasma TVs at very attractive prices. But some companies, such as Sony and Mitsubishi, have stopped producing plasma TVs for the consumer market and are focusing on LCD sets.
    CR’s take. For the best HD experience, buy as big a screen as your room size and budget allow. Our surveys of HDTV owners show that many wish they’d purchased a bigger set. See Types (available to subscribers) for help choosing between LCD and plasma, then consult both our LCD and our plasma TV Ratings (available to subscribers) for specific models.

Insist on Fine Performance

LCD and plasma technology have made strides over the past year or so, addressing weaknesses that detracted from picture quality. LCD TVs, for example, have had difficulty producing true black and natural-looking motion with no blurring. They’ve also had a narrower viewing angle than plasma sets. The best new LCD models have improved in those areas, contributing to high scores in our latest tests. Similarly, the best plasma TVs have added features to minimize distracting reflections and screen burn-in, two issues for plasma technology.

However, in a showroom it can be hard for shoppers to tell which TVs benefit from those improvements. Store lighting, varying settings on each TV, and the different types of content displayed make it tough to compare picture quality. In our labs, we eliminate variables so that we can see which models really perform best.

CR’s take. Don’t assume that a new LCD or plasma TV has the same problems as an older set you may have seen. Both technologies have improved, and LCD is catching up with plasma. The best LCDs score as well as the top plasma TVs.

Consider a 1080p TV

TVs with 1920x1080 native resolution--dubbed 1080p by manufacturers--are starting to gain momentum. A number of LCD and microdisplay rear-projection sets of this type are now in stores. More are expected next year, along with the first plasma sets of this type.

These displays have 1,920 pixels from left to right and 1,080 from top to bottom. They’re the first consumer TVs that can potentially display all the detail in the 1080i signal in most HDTV broadcasts, as well as the 1080p high-def DVDs from Blu-ray and HD-DVD players. (For more information, see HD formats.)

Other big-screen HDTVs top out at 1024x768 or 1366x720 resolution; they’re sometimes labeled “720p” sets. Their screens contain about half the number of pixels in a 1080p set, so they have to convert 1080i HD signals to a lower resolution.

While a 1080p TV can display more and finer detail than a 720p set, resolution alone doesn’t determine picture quality. Black level, brightness, and color accuracy are just as important. A 720p set that does everything right can have excellent picture quality, but an equally adept 1080p set has the potential to be even better.

The difference is most obvious on large screens and in close viewing. With a 1080p model, you can sit near enough to appreciate the fine detail without seeing the faint grid of pixels. But from a normal viewing distance--about 6 feet from a 42-inch screen--a 1080p set won’t look dramatically better than a good 720p TV.

Keep in mind that any display device is only as good as the programming it receives. A less-than-pristine cable signal, for example, limits even the best TV.

CR’s take. If you want state-of-the-art technology and potentially the best HD picture quality, buy a 1080p TV--but not just any set. Look for a model that did well overall in our tests. If you simply want fine picture quality and prefer to spend less, opt for a recommended 720p TV.

Think About Reliability

With more consumers buying flat-panel TVs, there’s a growing amount of data on reliability, and the news is good: During the first year or two of use, LCD and plasma TVs have been just as reliable overall as picture-tube TVs, which have historically required very few repairs. Some consumers are opting for LCDs over plasmas for fear that plasma TVs have a shorter life span, but such concern is unwarranted, says Rosemary Abowd of Pacific Media Associates.

Our latest product reliability survey shows no repair issues during the first year or two of use for LCD TVs from JVC, Panasonic, Samsung, Sanyo, Sharp, Sony, and Toshiba. Dell LCD sets have had higher than average repairs. In plasma, there have been no repair issues for Fujitsu, Hitachi, Panasonic, Pioneer, Sony, or Toshiba. The repair rate for Philips and Vizio plasma sets has been higher than average. There’s not enough data to report on other brands or on long-term reliability for any LCDs or plasmas.

CR’s take. An extended warranty generally isn’t worth it, especially for brands with a decent repair record. If you’re a belt-and-suspenders type who craves peace of mind, it might be worthwhile for you (especially with a pricey set or a brand with no repair history), but pay no more than 15 percent of the TV’s price.

Diplomacy, it's a way of saying “nice doggie”, until you find a rock!

I'll second the bang/buck of the Westinghouse LCD's, both for computers and TV's. They have very bright, clear images esp. considering the price.

Then there's the 47" Polaroid monitor that WalMart is selling for $1698

Features

* 1080p/1080i/720p/480i/480p digital compatibility
    * 3:2 & 2:2 pull-down with motion compensation
    * Progressive Scan
    * Built-in stereo speakers
    * VESA standard mounting system
    * Trilingual on-screen display (English, Spanish, French)
    * Sleep timer, closed captioning
    * Includes full-function remote control

Inputs/Outputs

* HDMI input
    * D-Sub
    * 2 component inputs (YPbPr/YCbCr)
    * 2 composite video inputs
    * S-video input
    * 5 audio inputs
    * Composite A/V output
    * Headphone jack
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 15 November 2006, 14:51.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Also consider: the power usage of the various options for a new set when in use, and on standby... not free to run these things, especially the large monsters
      DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

Comment

Which is especially a problem with plasmas.
        Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Okay so which is better.
          LCD or PLASMA?

Comment

We've bought 2 LCD's;

Sony 32" KLV32U100M
            Polaroid 37" FLM732

Both are at least as good as any of the plasmas in the same price range and they run cooler while using less power.

Our next one will be a 47-48 inch LCD.
            Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 15 November 2006, 18:28.
            Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Originally posted by RhinoZ
              Okay so which is better.
              LCD or PLASMA?
              Depends on what size TV you're looking for. If you want a large TV such as 50", you're best with Plasma... and even at 42" I'd go with Plasma over LCD.
              Honestly, unless you high a high end LCD tv (and even then there are still some problems), there are still noticable issues regarding response time/blurring/ghosting when watching fast movement such as sports. Plus, the color saturation and contrast is nowhere close to Plasma due to the CCFL bulbs that light an LCD tv... again unless you buy a high end pricey model that also uses LED backlights.
              In my opinion from working with and designing high end monitors, Plasma is still superior for 37" and up, while the current LCD technology is best suited for smaller displays in the 20-30" range.
              In the future, LCD will overtake Plasma since more money is being focused on LCD technology, particularly with the backlights. That is, until SED is production worthy.

Comment

Never seen a worse TV than the Westinghouse I saw at a store somewhere. Awful, awful picture. And it was even a 1080p model! There are lots of crap LCD flat panels out there, and if you are one of the Wal-Mart drones, you'll probably never know the definition of what good can really be. We sell Mitsubishi, Sony, LG, and NuVision, and I can confirm that LCD flat panels are really hot right now. We haven't been able to keep them in stock. The Mitsubishis and better Sonys are just stunning in picture quality, and the NuVisions have been as well, but their 1080p models are late coming out.

When we got the first 37" Mitsubishi in the store, I knew immediately that plasma's days were numbered. The blacks are deep and well defined now, a big problem for LCDs in the past, and plasma's previous best selling point. LCDs also use far less energy than plasmas. A big plasma might cost you $400 per year in electricity. LCDs are under half that. The other stumbling block for big LCDs had been price, but now you can get a 37" Mitsubishi LT37131 for $2199.00, which is what we were selling the 34" Sony XBR tube TV for just a couple of years ago, and the picture is arguably better on the LCD panel.

I'd recommend the Sony V-series or XBR series (40 and 46 inch models in 1080p) and any of the Mitsubishis (37 and 46 inch 1080p models). Sony even has a 52 inch out there at what is beginning to be a price worth considering.

Comment

Thanks for the info, I knew I could get the facts from you guys.
                  Now to convince the wifey

Comment

Sigh.

It would probably cost me more to get the Mistubishi "Promise Module" than it would to get a new TV. And the new one would actually have higher bandwidth and possibly better image quality.

Sigh.

Well, at least I have 55 inches of triple-CRT goodness for my DVD collection. I guess it'll be time to worry about real HDTV when most of my collection (350 or so DVDs) are available in HD, cheap

- Steve

Comment

Working...
                    X