Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trackball

(unrelated to Brian's thread )

Short story: I was thinking for some time about seriously trying to use trackball (the idea seems very appealing to me), tried old version of Logitech Marble Mouse (photo) recently and it felt very good. Together with the thing that it might be helpfull for my right hand (was recently broken), I think I'm buying a trackball.

So just asking if there's, perhaps, something other that's good and around Marble Mouse price range (OTOH this thing already seems to fit my hand...)

PS. Too bad that while Trackman Marble FX looks...intriguing at least, it's out of supply, apparently...

PPS. Also, too bad there's probably only one user of trackballs here and I know what his response will be (and no, I don't want Kensington - not only they're impossible to find, the newer ones are "ricer's dream" (os, beeing serious - can you turn the lightshow off on optical models?))
    Last edited by Nowhere; 12 November 2006, 07:52.

I still have a trackman here somewhere... can't remember if it was a regular trackman or a marble... You want it? Cover shipping.

(No, not kidding. Lemme go scrounge it up and take a picture...)

Definitely a marble... the kind with the thumb ball, though. Thumb ball and a scroll wheel.

Last edited by Gurm; 12 November 2006, 08:39.
    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
    If only life were as easy as you
    I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
    If only life were as easy as you
    I would still get screwed

Comment

Nowhere, I have tried almost all Locitech trackballs until recently. The Marble Mouse is by far, the best trackball out there, unfortunately, the design limits its ability to grow with the modern mouse(no scroll wheel). The one that you have pictured is the modern design. The old ones didn't have the extra buttons. The trackman that Gurm shows seemed to be very popular but I hated it. It would cramp up my thumb in minutes. Once I got used to the wheel, there was no going back. So now I use mice. I have the MX 1000 and the bluetooth part of it sucks. I have problems all the time with keeping it connected and some minor tracking issues here and there. I wish there was a nice trackball that met my needs. I've tried the Cordless Optical Trackman which has a wheel, but it feels to bulky and unnatural. I used it for 4 weeks and bought a new mouse. So now, I feel like I'm "settling" for a mouse for lack of a decent trackball. Bottom line, you will love the Marble Mouse. It feels "perfect" IMHO. They just need to figure out how to out a scroll wheel and I'd buy it again.
      Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

Yep, it definatelly felt very good when I tried it (oh Gurm, thanks, but I suspect it's possible I'd hate thumb-operated trackball; I'm not from cellphone generation )

And, oddly, I noticed that for some time I almost don't use scrollwheel, usually preferring to grab scrollbar with cursor (when quickly searching/etc. document) or hit page up/down, so I think I'll be fine...

Comment

I'm still using my old Trackman Marble FX..... I've looked too and there aren't any out there anymore.
          "Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Comment

I've been using a Kensington Expert Mouse 5 for years now, and am still pleased with it. But I don't know about those more recent models (about the leds and stuff).

Jörg
            pixar
            Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

The marble mouse looks to be still available, at least it's still on Logitech's trackballs page.

The Cordless TrackMan Optical also looks interesting:

Or try and find a used Microsoft Trackball Explorer:

Or just buy this:

or this:

There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

That MS Trackball Explorer also looks interesting...and most probably impossible to find (it's really quite simple - if any computer equipment is not popular in, say, US, it's even less (much less) popular here, especially if it's expensive and there are cheaper, "standard" alternatives). Besides...I think I prefer my pointing device to be new (I guess I think of it as "personall stuff"...though, oddly, I don't mind at all using public PCs in cafe, I probably see them in different category, as equivalent of prostitutes )
                And yes, Marble Mouse is available everywhere, but Trackman Marble FX isn't (see it on google image search)
                Also I wonder what's the point of cordless trackball...inflating price even more? (Cordless TrackMan Optical could be interesting for me...if corded)

Comment

Price inflation and buzzword factor, I guess.
                  There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Less cables on the desktop...
                    It can look nicer in for instance a travel agency, where the keyboard and mouse/trackball are just wireless (otherwise one is looking at the cables going round the back of the table).

Jörg
                    pixar
                    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Just got the cordless Optical Trackman today. I'm still playing with the settings to get it
                      to run smooth.

It's just not as smooth as my Trackman Marble FX but has a lot of buttons/features not
                      on the FX.

I've updated to the 310 setpoint drivers already.
                      "Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Comment

My physio has recommended that I start using a trackball, which is the best for a newbie, thumb or finger wheel.

Comment

I would love to use a trackball, but I've just never been able to get used to them. Maybe it's time to give one another whirl, especially now that I've long since stopped gaming on the PC (helped of course by using a Mac ).
                          “And, remember: there's no 'I' in 'irony'” ~ Merlin Mann

Comment

I'd say go for this:

cheers,
                            wulfman
                            "Perhaps they communicate by changing colour? Like those sea creatures .."
                            "Lobsters?"
                            "Really? I didn't know they did that."
                            "Oh yes, red means help!"

Comment

Originally posted by dbdg View Post
                              My physio has recommended that I start using a trackball, which is the best for a newbie, thumb or finger wheel.

Get anything that doesn't require just your thumb to use.

Marble mouse

Or the one I got - Cordless Optical Trackman.

Comment

Working...
                              X