• I'm thinking about getting a 256k download

and 64k upload dsl line.With my 56k modem
    I get terrible pings ....anywhere from 400
    to an occassional 1000 or more. Part of the
    problem, I'm sure,is aol.
    Will the dsl with the above speed lower
    my pings to an acceptable level?I won't be
    using aol.

Me, being a regular quake player (ping of ~200), would have to say hell yes! The DSL speed you are refering to would probably put your ping around 100 to 150 on quake, not sure on other games. Very playable, but not against T3 LPBs. I'm jealous,though! Just make SURE you get gamespy to find your best pinging servers! Hey, where do you live, and how much per month is the line? Thanks!

neo

------------------
    Asus P2B-F, 532MHZ Pentium II (4x133 at 2.4v), Global Win VEK12 hs/fan, 128MB Micron PC133, Maxtor 4GB, SB AWE 32, Creative DVD 2x, Mitsumi CDR 2x/8x, Sony Trinitron 17", Old Matrox Video Card, and a redhead with a pair of 36Cs (O/Ced to 38Cs)

Comment

neo,hmm...a 100 ping.I think that'll work.
      I live about 20 miles south of Los
      Angeles.The cost is 49.95/month for the 256/64 speed,including the isp.The only additional cost is 99.95 for the installation...no charge
      for the modem but I have to purchase the ethernet card.The cost goes up to 79.95
      per month for a 384/384 connection and
      continues to increase as the connection
      speed increases.If I go for it I'll let you
      know.
      Steve

Comment

The only problem you have, surferpop, is the ISP you are using. Since Quake 2 needs 2-3k of bandwidth per player, you having 56k of it (namely) is really not the problem.

You can try to use program like Windows' "tracert" (bad) or VisualRoute (very good, but shareware) to solve where the real bottleneck is 'cause it's not your 56k line.

B

------------------
        Excel 7.0, Winamp 2.23, Adobe Acrobat 4.0, QuickTime 4

Comment

This could be of help:
          http://www.planetquake.com/techtips/techtips-6-29-99-1.shtm

B

------------------
          Excel 7.0, Winamp 2.23, Adobe Acrobat 4.0, QuickTime 4

Comment

surferpop,

Your pings would improve dramatically over your 56k modem. There is a lot of confusion out there so I will straighten a few things out for you. First of all, you know that you do not get 56k. You really get 56k/8=7kbps at best! With a DSL line, you will get actual peak downloads of 256kbps and that is dedicated bandwidth. I have a cable modem and that is a shared bandwidth amongst users so the more poeple subscribe, the less bandwidth I will get. I paid 100.00 for the install, and 40.00 a month and they threw in the NIC card(3com Etherlink XL, bottom of the barrel, but it works) so as you can see, the cost is similar but you will be better off as time goes by since you will always have the same bandwidth(unless you have a real shitty ISP). The only other thing to note is that I get up to 450kbps download and upload really sucks, about 16kbps max. Hope this helps.

Dave
            Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

Helevitia,

I was hoping to get a cable hookup but
              it won't be in my area until first quarter
              '00 which probably means the last quarter
              of '01.lol.From what you are saying it appears it's probably worth the extra money
              to get the dsl line.
              Thanks to you,neo and Buuri for your advice.

Comment

Dave it is actually 53kilobits/8= 6.625kilobytes, the FCC limits speeds over phone lines because it would cause interference and noise. Anyway DSL is probably a good choice if you can't wait for modem or fiber optics =). Oh yeah AOL doesn't support anything above 56K right?

Comment

Working...
                X