Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

windows starts with an explorer window: how to turn it off?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• windows starts with an explorer window: how to turn it off?

Hello,

I'm having this stupid annoyance with my laptop. After updating the drivers (from the Fujitsu-Siemens site), every time I log on to the system it starts with an open Windows Explorer window (set in c:\program files\fujitsu siemens).

How can I see why/where this is launched?
    (it is not in the startup folder)

Jörg
    pixar
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Have you checked the registry under
    HKey_Local_Machine/software/microsoft/windows/currentversion/run?
    Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own lunar space lander! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the space lander, and the blackjack. Ahhhh forget the whole thing!

Comment

There are several places startup items live:

- Your startup folder:
      c:\documents and settings\<your username>\start menu\programs\startup
      - Startup folder for all users
      c:\documents and settings\all users\start menu\programs\startup
      - Machine run:
      HKLM\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\run
      - Machine runonce:
      HKLM\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\run once
      - User run:
      HKCU\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\run
      - User runonce:
      HKCU\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\run once

There are also some more esoteric things, hooks into startup DLL's but those 6 places are the most likely culprits.
      The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
      If only life were as easy as you
      I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
      If only life were as easy as you
      I would still get screwed

Comment

Originally posted by Gurm
        There are also some more esoteric things, hooks into startup DLL's but those 6 places are the most likely culprits.
        No luck in any of them.
        Guess the easiest to do is to remove the tools I upgraded and reinstall them.
        Jörg
        pixar

Comment

the program hijack this will list all programs which automatically start up .. may be worth a try? http://www.majorgeeks.com/download3155.html
          We have enough youth - What we need is a fountain of smart!

i7-920, 6GB DDR3-1600, HD4870X2, Dell 27" LCD

Comment

Originally posted by Tjalfe
            the program hijack this will list all programs which automatically start up .. may be worth a try? http://www.majorgeeks.com/download3155.html
            You beat me to it... .

I love this program.
            Diplomacy, it's a way of saying “nice doggie”, until you find a rock!

Comment

Originally posted by Tjalfe
              Cool, thanks! I can see some uses for that.
              But too late now: it was the first one I removed (Deskview client, which I installed to do a bios update).

Jörg
              pixar

Comment

I remember seeing this a while back... man and I can't forget exactly what fixes it.
                Look in the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon at key Userinit. There shouldn't be anything after the
                "C:\WINDOWS\system32\userinit.exe," and it should end with the ","

This can be caused by a program that was removed or didn't clean up itself correctly from auto starting at boot. If there is a file that doesn't exist in there somewhere, explorer may pop up because it can't find the file thats in the registry.

Comment

Working...
                X