Erik again :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Erik again :)

6 weeks into the 3rd grade and Erik has been moved into 4th grade math & reading. This 2 weeks before first conferences & report cards and before the State achievement test results are in.

Mom, Grandma, Dad & siblings are extremely pleased
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 9 November 2006, 16:51.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Titanium is the new bling!
    (you heard from me first!)

Comment

Careful with that. That was me at that age. It makes it very hard to form social bonds when you can't identify as being part of either class.
      Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Erik reminds me of a distant cousin (several times removed) that I've heard about but never met.

He always excelled at school with very little prompting from his parents. His Mom used to joke that his reports cards were boring; all 'A's.

Physically he was a beautiful specimen. His only indulgence was weight lifting. Girls would throw themselves at him left and right.

He quit WestPoint because he lost respect for his instructors when he found out they used food (ie., access to it) to indoctrinate recruits.

He ended up at some Ivy League school, studying politics or international relations or some such. Then, and I'm not clear if he graduated first, he disappeared. I think there was a note or something. They know it wasn't foul play.

The family believes that he was recruited into the CIA.

No one has heard from him since. It's been about 10 years now.
        P.S. You've been Spanked!

Comment

One of my cousins was USAF intel & would come up missing, always in times of crisis. He flew interesting things

As far as Erik's social life goes he's 'one of the kids'; dirt, fights, skinned knees and all. He just has the attitude that reading, math and science are fun.

He also has it in his head that he'll go to college & get degrees like mom, dad and his siblings.
          Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Be careful he doesn't get bored and he learns to sit on his ass and work for results. I have never needed to practice in my life, and it's biting me in the ass now. I have no self discipline (and yes, I of course concentrated heavily on things like reading when I was young and those things were fun. I still do that now - I just have a problem doing it with things that aren't fun.).
            There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Erik's very disciplined; you don't even have to remind him to do his homework.

He walks in the door, pets the dogs, hugs & cuddles us a few while giving us the details of his day, finishes what homework he didn't already do at school then goes out to play 'til dinner. After dinner it's playtime then an hour playing ToonTown online, some reading and/or Discovery Channel & bed by 9pm, all unprompted. Once in a while he'll watch Sponge Bob or Justice League if in the mood.

The only 'problem' is that he's very chatty, but we answer all the questions.

Otherwise we sometimes feel a bit useless
              Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 10 November 2006, 00:00.
              Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Mordrid
                Erik's very disciplined; you don't even have to remind him to do his homework.

He walks in the door, pets the dogs, hugs & cuddles us a few while giving us the details of his day, finishes what homework he didn't already do at school then goes out to play 'til dinner. After dinner it's playtime then an hour playing ToonTown online, some reading and/or Discovery Channel & bed by 9pm, all unprompted. Once in a while he'll watch Sponge Bob or Justice League if in the mood.

The only 'problem' is that he's very chatty, but we answer all the questions.

Otherwise we sometimes feel a bit useless
                Watch it, he's a Cylon infiltrator
                If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Then we're 3 for 4 in producing Cylons.

Only Chris was any trouble & that because of ADD (Margies brother has it too) and a closed head injury when he was run down by a Chevy 4x4 at age 16. Doing well now but the after effects of that CHI were rough; temper outbursts, memory holes etc. for a few years. Some troubles with short term are still there.
                  Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 10 November 2006, 01:40.
                  Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Originally posted by Wombat
                    Careful with that. That was me at that age. It makes it very hard to form social bonds when you can't identify as being part of either class.
                    Join the club. Too young for the next grade level, too advanced for the current one, kind of suffer socially.
                    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                    If only life were as easy as you
                    I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                    If only life were as easy as you
                    I would still get screwed

Comment

Diplomacy, it's a way of saying “nice doggie”, until you find a rock!

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Mordrid
                        6 weeks into the 3rd grade and Erik has been moved into 4th grade math & reading. This 2 weeks before first conferences & report cards and before the State achievement test results are in.

Mom, Grandma, Dad & siblings are extremely pleased
                        Adding somewhat to concerns..."has been moved" somehow doesn't sound right (fill the rest yourself...)

Comment

Basically he's completed all his 3rd grade requirements and been allowed to test out. Now he's getting 4th grade instruction in math, science & English in his 3rd grade classroom. Fortunately his class is a 3/4 split with 2 teachers.

The real trick is not letting him get bored.

He's already scored off the chart (estimated 105th percentile) on his Iowa tests and scores equivalent to 6th grade reading level.

If his state achievements come back as expected he'll probably be put in the TAG (talented and gifted) program, which would include going to a private community college extension for advanced material a few hours a week.
                          Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 12 November 2006, 17:35.
                          Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Working...
                          X