Core 2 Duo 6400 and MediaStudio 8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Core 2 Duo 6400 and MediaStudio 8

This pic shows a Core 2 duro 6400 (2.1 MGHz) rendering a DVD PAL video.

Never goes to 100% cpu load. Always 50% or little more (?????????).

With a D940 it goes to 100%, two cores.

Strange thing.
    Attached Files

I've got a 6400. Things don't necessarily run that much faster, but they do run incredibly smooth. I do a lot of multitasking and the 6400 seems to keep right up with me.

I'm going to upgrade to a quad core in January. That'll be sweet!
    P.S. You've been Spanked!

Comment

Gaging from the graphs it looks like it's posting an average of the two cores individual activity. #1 looks very busy with #2 pulling up the slack. I'd be more worried if #2 were sitting like a lump.

Can you render a short, but complex, project twice; once using a single core and once using both? If using both is faster fagetaboutit.
      Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 9 November 2006, 12:32.
      Dr. Mordrid
      ----------------------------
      An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

I don't know if multi-core optimization has increased with MSP8 but it was always lacking in 7 in my humble opinion. Some tasks would utilize both cores pretty well, others not so well.

Of course the goals to utilize both cores 100% all the time there is rendering going on.

I think programmers are just starting to realize this multicore thing is for real! Start programming for it now like you mean it, not just to add the "multi-core optimized" logo on the box.

- Mark
        - Mark

Core 2 Duo E6400 o/c 3.2GHz - Asus P5B Deluxe - 2048MB Corsair Twinx 6400C4 - ATI AIW X1900 - Seagate 7200.10 SATA 320GB primary - Western Digital SE16 SATA 320GB secondary - Samsung SATA Lightscribe DVD/CDRW- Midiland 4100 Speakers - Presonus Firepod - Dell FP2001 20" LCD - Windows XP Home

Comment

It's the same with HT. I get ~5-15% decrease in rendering times (MSP7 or 8) with HT on compared with HT off, and similar looking graphs to what you show. Often it's the righ tone that shows, say, 80% and the left one about 20%, occasionally peaking to an aggregate 65% but averaging 50%. However, with HT off, it certainly keeps well below 100%, so an average of 50% is an improvement.

I wonder even whether 100% or thereabouts is desirable. If a CPU runs at 100% a) it get bloody hot and b) there is no margin for things going wrong, so data loss is less unlikely, which would be fatal.
          Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

Arg, maybe Media Studio 8 isn't Core 2 Duo optimized

Ulead Core 2 Duo solutions

Ulead software is optimized for Intel Core 2 Processors. Both Ulead VideoStudio 10 and Ulead DVD MovieFactory 5 let you take advantage of the power of Intel Core 2 Duo technology to make working with video up to 50% faster than with previous Intel processors.

Comment

Brian,

It has been my experience that if a system is truly stable it can run for days at 100% load with no errors. I do it all the time. And as far as heat, even with the P4 (furnace) heat isn't an issue if you're not overclocking. With Core 2 Duo heat is even less of an issue.

As with all things computer your mileage may vary of course...

That's just my experience.

- Mark
              - Mark

Core 2 Duo E6400 o/c 3.2GHz - Asus P5B Deluxe - 2048MB Corsair Twinx 6400C4 - ATI AIW X1900 - Seagate 7200.10 SATA 320GB primary - Western Digital SE16 SATA 320GB secondary - Samsung SATA Lightscribe DVD/CDRW- Midiland 4100 Speakers - Presonus Firepod - Dell FP2001 20" LCD - Windows XP Home

Comment

Working...
              X