Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Oblivion : Black Screen Problem : Solved ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oblivion : Black Screen Problem : Solved ?

WHen I first installed Oblivion (took me ages to decide, cos i thought it would be beautiful but shite game) I started the game, chose new game, then got the little intro bit, skipping as much as possible since i had already seen the beginning at a friends house.
    Then you get to choose your characters name and skin and hair colour and such, I hadn't even changed more than three settings, and the full 3D view went black.
    I still had the menus and stuff, but no 3D.
    I got sometimes up to 15mins of gameplay before the screen went black. It varied.

I had read on the web that overheating may be a problem, but ALL of my other games have worked fine (FarCry, ROL:RON, Darwinia, HL2, Defcon, TMN)
    I searched again on the net, and found lots of people complaining and asking for a patch for it, i decided to do a little testing.

The only game I used to have a problem with was NFS:MW which had HDR, and crashed a lot, and i found dropping the memory clocks, and the core of the GPU worked fine.
    It was just such a drop that it felt too much. But it worked.

My 7800+ was OC from 450 to 600MHz, a bit on the edge, but the good side of the edge. As said previously, all my games worked fine. (NFS exception)
    The NFS problem was on a 6800GT OC to 425/1100...I had to bring it down to nearly 370 and 1000 for NFS to work properly...

As for the 7800GS+, i dropped it to 550, and dropped the memory a bit too, to 1300.

I then played a straight 12hour stretch (with some breaks) without any problems.
    This is in 1280x960 with everything but AA switched on (and some shadows stuff off)
    It was smooth, and looked gorgeous. and the gameplay is sweet too.

The 7800GS standard I exchanged for a 6800GT works fine too, not a Black screen in sight, and its fully not OC at all. His PSU is a 250W thingy thats just getting by on a 3200+...

So, Black Screen in Oblivion, answer, downclock the card a bit and try again.

I reckon its the HDR doing something wild in the GPU, causing too much, but very localised heat. A Hot spot could be generated on the Chip, meaning that to prevent this, you would have to take some relatively drastic measures overall to alleviate the localised temps.
    PC-1 Fractal Design Arc Mini R2, 3800X, Asus B450M-PRO mATX, 2x8GB B-die@3800C16, AMD Vega64, Seasonic 850W Gold, Black Ice Nemesis/Laing DDC/EKWB 240 Loop (VRM>CPU>GPU), Noctua Fans.
    Nas : i3/itx/2x4GB/8x4TB BTRFS/Raid6 (7 + Hotspare) Xpenology
    +++ : FSP Nano 800VA (Pi's+switch) + 1600VA (PC-1+Nas)

OOH That was my 666th post!!!!!

Woot Woot!!

Edit: The 7800GS+ has above standard cooling ( AN Artic Cooling by the looks of it) AND has a 60x60x25mm fan blowing from the side at 7000rpm.
    I didn't expect heat to be a problem...

edit2: Yup, i got a screencap with 666 posts
    Last edited by Evildead666; 8 November 2006, 11:41.
    PC-1 Fractal Design Arc Mini R2, 3800X, Asus B450M-PRO mATX, 2x8GB B-die@3800C16, AMD Vega64, Seasonic 850W Gold, Black Ice Nemesis/Laing DDC/EKWB 240 Loop (VRM>CPU>GPU), Noctua Fans.

Comment

It still black screens, just not so often.
      i may have had 3 black screens over long gaming periods in the last Two weeks...not bad.
      Usually its at about 3-4am when i should be sleeping, so i sort of laugh a bit and thank the black screen for forcing me to go to bed.

3 hours sleep isn't enough

Comment

Working...
      X