I hate my router

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I hate my router

I have a Netgear wgt624. At least once a day, my Internet connection will fail. I'll unplug the router, plug it back in, and everything is cherry.

But dammit, if it doesn't go out at the least convenient times. My roomate will normally be the first to notice, and it's usually when I'm either asleep or I have company over. And of course, the router is in my room, so I have to get up and go through the reset procedure.

I've updated it and have tried multiple firmwares.

I'm ready to hit it with a hammer and replace it, however

1-it's a 108g router, and I have a 108g Netgear card for my laptop...so I'd like to replace it with something that would be compatible with the card if possible.

2-I just need something stable that has a decent feature set.

Any input?

Have you considered the cable/dsl modem is screwed? Last 2 times I had connection failures like that it was the modem.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

I think you should just get married and lose all your computer hardware in the divorce.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Mordrid
        Have you considered the cable/dsl modem is screwed? Last 2 times I had connection failures like that it was the modem.
        Yeah, but convicing comcast of that won't be easy.

Short of swapping modems/routers, is there an easy way to determine that it may be the modem itself?

Comment

Originally posted by KvHagedorn
          I think you should just get married and lose all your computer hardware in the divorce.
          It would be quicker and easier just to find a girl I don't like and give her my hardware. *ahem* COMPUTER hardware.

Comment

Neh, you can give her your "hardware" too...as long as you wrap it first
            Dr. Mordrid
            ----------------------------
            An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Seems that if I disable the wireless radio, it's more reliable. Hmm..

Comment

cable modem? if so go to http://192.168.100.1 this will allow the logs to be seen and you'll be able to tell if modem dropping/timing out......giving you ammo against the cable co...
                Better to let one think you are a fool, than speak and prove it

Comment

I'll do that.

Comment

Working...
                  X